low oil pressure problems

R R' us

alright people need help. my oil pressure gauge is readin low when the pulsar is warmed up? and when i go to put my foot down it wont go to full boost and the turbo splutters. anybody help cheers.

olliecast

need more info mate,
what is the pressure when warm / cold?
Does the pressure rise with the revs?

Any smoke? if so what colour?

Cheers,
ollie

gtir_pimp

low oil pressure shouldnt make a difference to the car spluttering. it could just be a faulty gauge or sender. as for the spluttering there are lots of things it could be. maybe more of a missfire? fuel pump,leads,plugs,fuel filter,dizzy cap,coil are a possibility. do a fault code check

R R' us

no smoke, readin just above 4 when cold, just above 0 when warm, yes does move with revs any more info cheers

olliecast

I`d check the sender first to see if thats ok or not.

As gtir_pimp says above, have you done a fault code check?

Cheers,
ollie

R R' us

the splutterin started when i put a hks dump valve on and checked all the pipes so it can't be an air leak i dont think

stumo

the splutterin started when i put a hks dump valve on and checked all the pipes so it can't be an air leak i dont think
Take the HKS dump valve off and refit what was on there.....see if the spluttering stops!

R R' us

ye i will do that, cheers 4 the advice, i havnt had it long and think there a bit of a nightmare to work on

pschurr

If the base of your oil pan is dented in, then you may have a oil pickup problem.
The bottom of the oil pan should be flat with no indentations. The oil pickup tube sits only a few mm from the 'floor'.
It's an easy job to drop the oil, take the oil pan off and check the pickup tube.

peter

Tyremonkey

You know had the same sort of thing was an wiring fault and other is what o i get know which im been told is a det sensor!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Seeing as you're local I'd offer to give you a hand, but it's kinda cold at the moment... and it will be dark after work.
Sounds like the sputtering is a boost leak to me; I had a similar problem when I put my HKS BOV in. In the end it was that the silicone hose hadn't quite sealed on the T piece; a bit of vacuum grease on it and I've never looked back!

If it's any consolation, I know where the oil pressure sender is.

R R' us

i put castrol gtx 5w30 in it about 2 weks ago so shouldnt be the oil? ye cheers if you could let me no one weekend if its nice were the sensor is so i could clean it up that would b a great help cheers!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
5W-30 is a bit low I would have thought. 10W-50 would be a better choice; that turbo can get quite hot (so 40 or 50), and I don't think you need to go as low as a 5W in the UK. - I'm sure oilman will correct me if I'm wrong.

There aren't many weekends left before Christmas. Is your car on the street or in a garage? Maybe I could drop in on the way home if it's gonna be warm and well lit... I have a picture to help anyway.

The oil pressure sender is that big bit sticking out with a black wire to the right of the oil filter, just below the PAS pump.

If you want to get at it with the engine in, I'd put the driver's side on axle stands and take the wheel off - you should be able to reach it through the arch.

Last edited: