Locking the 'centre viscous coupling'?

K

krazeguy

Well after searching the internet for too long and doing a lot of reading on this forum I havnt quite found what I was looking for.

Just wondering if anyone has locked their 'centre diff' - To avoid confusion, I mean the coupling that controls the amount of drive sent to the rear wheels depending on how much spin there is at the front wheels.

Also, has anyone got some very good and detailed pictures of the gtir gearbox and transfer apart, mainly looking for images of the 'centre viscous coupling' that controls the split.

Any help would be appreciated!

A

andy n

i reckon if you do this it will desroy tyres and put some very strange loads on things cos when you go round corners your front and rear wheels travel at slightly different speeds.

S

samellio

Great subject :wink:
A marshall at my local track suggested simply welding the diff as a cheap and quick fix.. this would give you constant %50 split.. i find the r's go into 1 wheel drive so not sure if welding the centre diff might help with that?????

If you do find anything out be sure to let us know :wink:
Cheers 8)

Lockers are certainly NOT recommend for cars......

Have u by chance heard of the term called transmission wind up?
It is because of this which is why permanent 4wd have a centre diff and to limit the wheelspin we have a viscous coupling or a torsen diff in more exotic machinery to act as a LSD.

Well if u want to know how it handles get a Range Rover or a Land Rover (i'm sure there's plenty around from where u guys are), locked the centre diff and u'll find it's crappy around corners. But i warn u dont even think of trying on bone dry tarmac. Unless u wanna destroy something in the drive train.

Did u know that even with a proper clutch type LSD can still cause transmission windup? A friend of mine has a rear Nismo LSD and it was tight enough to destroy his ring and pinion gears....

Locking diffs are only recommend for off roading.... and that's also if u're crawling less thatn 5kph.

K

krazeguy

I was thinking of removing the front axles at the same time, ive got 3 gearboxes so I don't mind destroying a couple.

... hint hint rwd.

zia

have seen welded evo center diff they use plasma welder to weld through the case!! straight line use only!!!

zia

ashills

zia said:
have seen welded evo center diff they use plasma welder to weld through the case!! straight line use only!!!

zia
yep ill be doing this on my second box which will be drag only also i thin they removed the centre diff and use a spool instead still finding out more info on it at teh minute need to speak to the guys in NZ who do alot of drag racing theres now 2 different evo 1-3's in the 8s out there very mad

turblio

Mine has a semi locked rear diff and you have to be carefull when turning
but for going round roundabouts it does shift with no understeer arse out style if you push it :shock:
Frank

Care to explain what do u mean by a semi locked diff? How do u do it?
Or u actually weld the rear diff. Coz i want arse out action. Sigh if only they made Detroit Lockers for the R. Haha. Now thats vicious......

I'm very envious of those who have an lsd in their Rs......
:p

turblio

It was diagnosed as a locked rear diff by my tuner or semi locked as he called it because it has some give but as for how its done I do not know
they used to put different clutch packs in them to achieve this but as i say I cant be sure with mine...
Frank

My advice is to get a proper Nismo centre LSD.
U only lock the centre diff unless it's brought around to drag events on a trailer.
In 1 word i do not recommend u locking the centre diff.

Why dont u try finding old Mazda 323 B6Turbo owners and try driving one with the standard manual locking centre diff. It doesn't work and just destroy your transmission.

If u want, just weld the centre diff.

K

krazeguy

Thanks for the advice but how would it damage the transmission, if the front halfshafts are removed and welded up would it not be fine as there would be no transmission wind up?

M

MarkMc

In conventional 3 diff equipped 4wds the center diff is designed to allow for differences between front and rear axles(ie front wheels turning at a different speed to the back wheels). The front and rear diffs are designed to allow for wheel speed differences from side to side of each axle. Locking diffs not only wreck transmission but also steering components(pumps, bushes etc…). Removing the front shaft should remove the wind up, but, I would ask a mechanic :wink: before you did this as other components such as rear drive shafts will now be transmitting twice the torque.

Cheers

Mark

M

MarkMc

I should say when ever I drive on loose surfaces with conventional 4WD(land rovers I always lock the center diff(and had know problems in 12 years). This gives increased grip and predictable handling and does not give transmission wind up due to poor surface grip :wink: . Welding the diff up on a full time dirt :wink: driven GTIR may be fine, but again you would want to check with mechanic.

Cheers

Mark

Are u into offroading too?
:p
What's your rig?
Landie?
I'm current off roading in a Daihatsu Rocky. No big deal really. Just want to learn the fine bits of offroading b4 i upgrade to a better vehicle.
Surprisingly my silly Rocky still puts a few number of rigs to shame on 35inch tyres even though i'm running crappy 31 inch Simex M/T.
I guess it helps having a rear Detroit Locker haha....
Wolf in sheep clothing but effective.
cheers.

So the GTi-R is gonna be rwd?

K

krazeguy

No its a primera. Pretty much a GTIR just non turbo and its a sedan.

M

MarkMc

I used to have 82 RR with factory 4.6 maxi drive front and back, no sway bars and winch(plus more, 2 sets of tyres). Would go just about any where, but sold it 6 years ago. I know have access to 85 RR with same mods and new RR 04 and disocos 04 of varying capabilities. The older ones are far more capable then the new ones. Better articulation in older versions and reasonably reliable.

Lockers make massive difference off road. Another small 4WD that performs very well off road are the Suzuki Seria. Lift them, lock the diffs and put in crawl gears and they will put most serious off roaders to shame.

Cheers

Mark