LED v’s HID Xenon

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’m thinking of changing the lights in my car for HID Xenon (conversion) or the newer tech, LED headlights with fan assist.

This won’t be on the Nissan, but on my daily driver.
Overall the standard halogen lights are not really cutting the mustard and I could do with better lighting while the nights are still long and the weather is poor!

I’ve never bothered to complete a conversion before, but as LED lights seem to becoming more popular than HID, I was wondering if people had any feedback on LED v’s HID?

I won’t be opting for the crappy eBay LED lights that are on offer (see image 1),

ebay crap.jpg
but a quality fan assisted LED unit that seems to have decent feedback and longevity (see image 2).

LED HEADLIGHT OPTI.png

On the other hand I also get people saying that HID conversion kits are still better than LED’s at present. I realise that depending on the OEM lights, a HID conversion kit may be non roadworthy hence why I’m also looking at LED as they are road legal (at present).

I was keen to hear about people’s views and feedback and perhaps some suggestions on where to purchase either decent LED or HID conversion kits from?

Any info would be appreciated.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I suppose the other thing to consider is that some OEM LED headlights incorporate "intelligent lighting"; that's not something you get by replacing the bulbs.

It's possibly also worth considering that unless you recode the car to expect LED or HID lights it might continually tell you there's a headlight fault.

I'd go with LED myself, just because they are lower power usage. I know that probably doesn't make much difference to your daily, but on the Nissan I figure that's good for the alternator and battery.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You know what, you've got me thinking about replacing the park lights on mine with LEDs. - They look really yellow next to the xenon main beams.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Feedback on the interweb is that HID reach is further than LED, but both are much better than halogen...

Just curious about build quality and longevity really....

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
As far as I know, the Xenon bulbs in my car have never been changed; so expect about 10 years of life?

johnny gtir

H4 are good as you get low and high beam. I know people that have hid prob like yourself on h7 they drive with them constant and find dipped on hid better than full beam on
I work with led at work on lighting in houses and commercial indoor and outdoor it has come on such a long way but still constantly changing for the better and a big advantage is no or little heat and low current.
I have not used led in main driving lights
I would say hid and you won't be disappointed I drive vehicles with hid get in others without it and difference is Day and night

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Am I right in thinking that it's the resistor pack to fool the car electronics that generates the heat? - As you say; the diode its self should run fairly cool compared with an incandescent bulb.