Leaky Sun Roof

D

daBOODA

I've had this problem with my 3rd gen Prelude as well and it was easy to fix. All I had to do was find the run roof's drainage pipes and clean them out. They get clogged up with dirt after 10 years or so.

So I'm going to have to find the same tubes in my GTiR and clean them out. I'm aiming to remove the roof lining on the weekend to have a look and to possibly replace the lining (if it's too damaged from the water).

If anyone has some useful information about this problem and how to easily fix it, please let me know.

If I figure it out myself I'll let you all know

D

daBOODA

Ah cheers for that, but there's some PDFs on ggon.net. If they're the same, don't trouble yourself.

D

daBOODA

Ok I seem to have fixed most of the problem. I ripped out the boot's lining and found the drainage tubes on either side. Both tubes are connected to a metal pipe that goes through a hole that leads to the underside of the car. The water is supposed to flow out here onto the road.

The right hand side pipe was totally rusted. There wouldn't be enough flow through the rusted pipe and the water would have backed up and overflowed back through the sunroof, then onto my head :p

So, I bought some rubber tubing and two plastic pipe connectors. I cut off the rusted bit of pipe and connected the new rubber hose to the existing drainage hose using the connector. I did this on both sides because it was too hard to get the left hand side's pipe back into the hole.

I'll take some photos of what I've done and of the rusted pipe.

Cheers

coxie

hurry up mate with the pics as i have the luxury of a sunroof but the annoyance of water dripping occasionally. :roll:

D

daBOODA

coxie said:
hurry up mate with the pics as i have the luxury of a sunroof but the annoyance of water dripping occasionally. :roll:
Whao hehe! I'm at work at the moment but I'll get the DV cam out tonight and try to get stills of the fix. I forgot to mention that I still have a very small leak in comparison. It occurs where the control panel for the sunroof is. It's not pouring out but it's still a pain in the ass. I'll have to rip the roof lining out the see what the problem is.

GTIR-LOZ said:
me too but mine dont drip just mists up thens ok again
I'd say it'll get worse over time. The glass on my sunroof doesn't mist up anymore, which is good :)

D

daBOODA

Arg fsck this I'm going to wait until the weekend when there's enough light (it's too dark when I get home from work to take pics)

D

daBOODA

Fudge! It rained here in Brisbane last night and the sunroof's leaking again. There must be a blockage some where in the middle of the draingage hose. The roof lining will definately have to come out sometime soon.

I'll still get those pics on the weekend anyway.

D

daBOODA

OK! Since it took me 9 months to figure this one out, I may as well post about it.

Current I have the roof lining out and all four drainage tubes seem fine. Now when I pull back the cover (the thing with the handle and the roof lining material), it tends to slide back a braket that has a rubber seal on the front side.

This braket is meant to sit right under the rear side of the sunroof glass. That part of the sunroof glass doesn't stop water from coming in and the braket is what catches the dripping water and leads it to the two rear drainage tubes.

When it get's slid back, it's no longer catching the water and therefore the water falls straight on the roof lining material.

I've pushed the braket forward but it's still loose and can slide back at any time. I might need to remove the sunroof to see where it bolts in.

D

daBOODA

Ok, finally an end to the saga!

The problem is that the tray that clicks onto the back of the glass slides up and down the rails along with the glass. The tray is connected to the rails via two sliding clips. One of these on my sun roof was snapped. I took the sunroof off, glued the two pieces of the clip together again, greased the rails for good measure and chucked it all back in the car. It works perfectly now. No leaks :D

If you take the sunroof off you'll see what I mean