lambda sensor

00sid

right im going to be changing where my exhaust runs, does anyone know where the cat sensor joins the loom and is it posiable to join a wideband sensor into it. the pipe is going to be in a total different place so i need to move this sensor.

cheers for any help. 8)

A

Anonymous

You don't need the cat sensor, but really you want to have the wideband closer to the turbo and directly in the exhaust stream.

If you are going to be tuning the car, having the sensor that far down the exhaust is going to cause a delay in the sensor readings. If you logged a pull the resulting wideband reading would lag several cells behind that of the injector pulse reading. This is a right pain in the arse for tuning.

The factory sensor location is the best place to put a wide band and won't be a problem if tuning an EMS because you have have the wideband do narrow band emulation of close loop running while tuning. If you are thinking of having a wide band installed perminantly, then that's a very expensive luxury. The rich mixtures a turbo engine runs will kill the sensor pretty quickly. The estimated life for most widebands is 1000 hours.

00sid

cheers for that, so if i remove the cat sensor the car will still run ok, im running on a motec ecu, so i will need to weld a plug for the wideband when the car is tuned, when the car is running the one standard sensor on the turbo elbow should do the job.
does this sound about right.

O

Odin

00sid said:
cheers for that, so if i remove the cat sensor the car will still run ok, im running on a motec ecu, so i will need to weld a plug for the wideband when the car is tuned, when the car is running the one standard sensor on the turbo elbow should do the job.
does this sound about right.
I have a motec fitted and I have the standard lambda switched on for better slow running, I also have another bung welded in just below it in the goose down pipe :wink: , Like ben said a wide band wont last long if you try and run with all the time :cry: .

It's best just fitted when your mapping the car :wink:

Oh and yes it's ok to remove the cat sensor :wink:

rob

geetee

yes you can get rid of the sensor in the Cat - all it does it switch the 'hotdog' light on the dash on if the cat gets really hot. To warn you not to park over dry leaves or tramps etc :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

00sid

cool, nice one so my plan for my new pipe should work as long as mr. m.o.t man likes it :wink:

ashills

the new decent wide bands will last for ages as they are a factory fit part on hondas
i use one and life expectancy is same as normal lambda

A

Anonymous

I assume you mean the NTK L1H1 wideband? The expected life for those is still only around 1000 hours when used in a fuel rich environment (i.e a forced induction engine). I'm actually using one of those at the moment but only have around 250 hours on it so far. No problems with it as of yet though.

Paul R

Anyone have any stats (longevity etc..) on the Bosch LSU4 sensor? Cheaper than the NTK one I believe :?: