koyo 53mm rad

R

R1cky

Hi, was wondering if anyone has fitted the koyo 53mm rad if so how tight a fit is it, as i've just ordered a gt3071r and dont want to be stuck with a rad i cant use!!!!!!!!!!

geoff pine

I have one with slimline fans and theres about 8mm spacebetween the fans and the turbo heat shield. (standard turbo)

Last edited:
R

R1cky

mmm is that the standard turbo? Any ideas on a different rad then?

O

Odin

I have the koyo rad fitted to mine, You will only really get away with running one fan with any of the bigger turbo's.....

With the standard manifold you should have enough room, But if your worried about room then maybe you should fit the double thickness copper rad instead.............

And with the bigger rad you shouldn't need anymore cooling than afforded by one fan anyway.......

Rob

G

gavmc18

i tried to order the copper one but they were out of stock so he gave me a good price on the koyo alu one

is it just one standard fan you have, i just have the standard turbo just now but hoping to change soon aswell as the manifold

gav

O

Odin

gavmc18 said:
is it just one standard fan you have,

Yes mate at the moment I'm just using the passenger side standard fan, I did have a bigger slimline fan fitted but with the new manifold it was a bit tight :cry: , I'm going to fit it on the front of the rad if it's ok to run it backwards ;-) .

But with the single standard fan and a 19 row oil cooler it's not getting hot at all, even when I did 10 hard laps of the very twisty knock hill circuit 8) :thumbsup: .

Rob

C

Crazy

I have the Koyo Rad fitted along with a Turbo Dynamics MD214 Roller Bearing turbo and it touches the fan, so with the GT3071 you may need to fit a slimline fan!!!

stumo

Rob, when fans are made to push rather than pull the air through a rad/intercooler they become a lot less efficient and the CFM drops.

O

Odin

stumo said:
Rob, when fans are made to push rather than pull the air through a rad/intercooler they become a lot less efficient and the CFM drops.
I haven't given it much thought really fella, I haven't even looked at the fan to see if the blade can be turned around yet :oops: , If not I'll just buy a new push fan rather than a pull, Plus I'll still be using the standard fan anyway ;-) ;-) .

Rob

O

Odin

And to add to the debate I ran my car with out any fans for about 6 months with no over heating problems at all :shock: , It wasn't until I got stuck in a really long cue that I noticed my fan wasn't working :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

And it still took ages to get into the red :thumbsup: .

So I'd say the koyo rad is a very very good investment into the longevity of your engine when also used with a nice front mounted oil cooler 8) :-D

Rob

K

kizzyturbo4x4

My mate has fitted the original fans to push in front of the radiator
when he fitted a gt3071r with modded std manifold.
works just fine. havent done all to much hard/track testing but still.

R

R1cky

do koyo do a standard size rad but in alu, i know pro-alloy do but it carries a hefty price tag!

cmng

Koyo only do 53mm Radiator

The other brand you can consider from Japan is FWIN
they produce 36mm Thick Radiator which i am using right now

R

R1cky

Does it use all of the standard fans etc. any idea where i can get hold of 1 from??????