knock sensor positioning

gazgstar

I'm going to be replacing my knock sensor soon and as its so awkward I was wondering if it could be positioned elswhere on the block? Has anyone done this or know the best place to put it?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Have you done a search?

The short answer is "no, not unless you don't want to use it". - There are people who have attached it elsewhere, but that effectively bypasses it and you might as well just solder a resistor across the wires if you're going to do that.

It needs to be at the back so it's not melted by the exhaust.
It needs to be in the middle so that it "listens" to all the cylinders.
It needs to be on the block because that's where the cylinders are (and therefore where the DET occurs).

I'm not saying it's a good location, or that it's particularly effective, but it seems like that's the least worst position for the sesnsor.

gazgstar

Thanks mate, just wasnt too sure if it could be done, would certainly make life easier if it could be moved though:)

PulsarLee

Have you done a search?

The short answer is "no, not unless you don't want to use it". - There are people who have attached it elsewhere, but that effectively bypasses it and you might as well just solder a resistor across the wires if you're going to do that.

It needs to be at the back so it's not melted by the exhaust.
It needs to be in the middle so that it "listens" to all the cylinders.
It needs to be on the block because that's where the cylinders are (and therefore where the DET occurs).

I'm not saying it's a good location, or that it's particularly effective, but it seems like that's the least worst position for the sesnsor.
Hiya,

Is there a how to guide to bypassing the sensor using the resistor method you mentioned?

Cheers