Just fitted AEM wideband

steve963

Put it in the decat pipe, got a mate to weld the boss on, easy8)

Spent the next 2 hours trying to run the cable to the inside of the car:doh:

Works great, about 14-15 AFR on tickover going down to 11.5, and even 10 under power

All this at 1.2bar on std engine and turbo, Its cool these cars run so rich as std! No fuel computer needed

Need a new clutch now though (and brakes) (and probably gearbox, soon:shock: )

Feels pretty fast now:shock:

MarkTurbo

steve963 said:
All this at 1.2bar on std engine and turbo, Its cool these cars run so rich as std! No fuel computer needed
Thats what ive been doing for quite a while now, its good to have somebody else to back up what ive been saying about how much fuel the standard ecu actually chucks in and the amount of boost you can run 8)

Although 1.2 bar is so 2 years ago :lol: 1.5 bar is far better ;-)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I used to run 1.55 bar daily on standard pistons and turbo... Was fine!

Fueling usually only comes good when running the walbro as the std pumps tend to be old and tired from years of use..

Rishi

steve963

why you say "used to" then, hahaha

Yeah got a walbro

How did you run 1.55 bar, did you have any extra cooling? what setup did you have?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
steve963 said:
why you say "used to" then, hahaha

Yeah got a walbro

How did you run 1.55 bar, did you have any extra cooling? what setup did you have?
Used to as in i did for 2 years before i thought 700bhp and 2.5bar on a large turbo was a good idea!

Apart from the usuals i was running an HKS FMIC for cooling. Std Rad at the time.

Rishi

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
steve963 said:
Works great, about 14-15 AFR on tickover going down to 11.5, and even 10 under power
Glad the AEM has worked out alright for you. If anything it sounds too rich if its dropping to 10, even 11.5 is the bottom end of richness. Without having seen it, you might find the 10 is a high boost/rpm misfire rather than a rich mixture.

Whatever is happening, I wouldn't start upping the boost again until it stops pouring petrol out the back every time you boot it ;-)

MarkTurbo

campbellju said:
If anything it sounds too rich if its dropping to 10, even 11.5 is the bottom end of richness. Without having seen it, you might find the 10 is a high boost/rpm misfire rather than a rich mixture.

Whatever is happening, I wouldn't start upping the boost again until it stops pouring petrol out the back every time you boot it ;-)
My car runs fine and i was getting afr's in the 10's in the midrange too ;-) I reckon the standard ecu just chucks far too much fuel in during the midrange, the results steve got back that up but it would be nice to hook up a wideband on a few more cars with standard ecu's and see what they're doing. Its probably the reason for the rubbish mpg :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Would definately be interesting to see if other cars are like that as standard.

10's are too low whether normal or not, rubbish for torque as well as mpg. I never had my AEM fitted when the car was standardish and doing rubbish mpg. I would like to see one on Dan(dud)'s car as he's getting a genuine 330hp off 1.1 Bar with just a front mount and dawes device :shock:

His car makes me wonder why I bothered with all the cost and hassle for the sake of an extra 100hp :der:

steve963

Still havent checked it proper, but was seeing 11.5 on the gauge a lot, bloody hard to read the thing at 1.2 bar though!

It seems to start at 12.5 under power then go to 11.5, and under load into the 10`s, but as I say i`m gonna crash looking at it!

gonna get my GTR intercooler plumbed in next, then take it to the dyno...

DanDud

campbellju said:
Would definately be interesting to see if other cars are like that as standard.

10's are too low whether normal or not, rubbish for torque as well as mpg. I never had my AEM fitted when the car was standardish and doing rubbish mpg. I would like to see one on Dan(dud)'s car as he's getting a genuine 330hp off 1.1 Bar with just a front mount and dawes device :shock:

His car makes me wonder why I bothered with all the cost and hassle for the sake of an extra 100hp :der:
HEHE! Although im only at just under ;) 1.1bar (16PSI) it drinks fuel like theres no tomorow! I like the idea of plumming a wideband in though, would be interesting to see how rich it is running. And if it is running really rich il just turn it up to 1.2bar :D LOL!

MarkTurbo said:
I reckon the standard ecu just chucks far too much fuel in during the midrange, the results steve got back that up but it would be nice to hook up a wideband on a few more cars with standard ecu's and see what they're doing. Its probably the reason for the rubbish mpg :lol:
Mine run mega rich on standard setup on anything over a bar, which I believed was the afm maxing out,and anything over what it couldn't handle it would just chuck in loads of fuel for safe measuse.

On 1.4 bar with standard I was knocking 17% off the standard ecu fueling at top end to achieve a 12:1 air/fuel ratio.

MORF114

its not fair people having afr gauges working :lol: i saw a mid 14 on idle once then that was it never again. i thought if you got close to stoich while driving not on idle a engine is pretty destructive or wont last long?

whats a perfect/safe afr to run ?

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
steve963 said:
Put it in the decat pipe, got a mate to weld the boss on, easy8)

Spent the next 2 hours trying to run the cable to the inside of the car:doh:

Need a new clutch now though (and brakes) (and probably gearbox, soon:shock: )

Feels pretty fast now:shock:
Was specking to the technical Dept. at Innovate in the states a few weeks ago, I wanted to ask them general questions about the reliability of there wide band sensor over the stock Nissan item and what was the expected lifespan of the sensor if fitted to a daily driver. I was told the lifespan of the sensor was largely determined where in the exhaust it was fitted, the one thing that kills the sensor is water/condensation and you get lots of water/condensation running through the exhaust system, if you want the sensor to be reliable it must be fitted in a down pipe or the upper side of horizontal pipe so it never sits in water. Hence Nissan fitted the OEM sensor in the down pipe.

steve963

Yeah AEM instructions state it must be angled more than 10 degrees to the horizontal because of this, so mine is in the upper part of the decat, (hope its alright) any ideas how much a new bosch sensor is?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
R called Jay said:
Mine run mega rich on standard setup on anything over a bar, which I believed was the afm maxing out,and anything over what it couldn't handle it would just chuck in loads of fuel for safe measuse.

On 1.4 bar with standard I was knocking 17% off the standard ecu fueling at top end to achieve a 12:1 air/fuel ratio.
That makes sense, thanks.

CruiseGTi-R

I ran stock ecu, 1.0bar, stock engine, usual other mods.

I had 12.5 at 5k, down to a maximum 11.2 if I bothered to rev it to 7.0k.

The only thing I ever needed to worry about was traffic/idling for a long time (ecu would struggle to stoich after a while) and egt being too high when running hard for long periods.

I had planned to 'prove' the stock ecu for 1,1.1 and 1.2bar by plotting logs of throttle, revs, boost, afr and egt but my bottom end had had enough :roll: .