Itasha - Car Stickers

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Styling in or out... that a good question. I went to this car show late last year and I still can't make my mind up if I like it or not. It's a crazy scene where some of the cars are real show cars, some are race cars with a sense of humour whilst other are just plain weird. Typical car show then!

Here is a quote from Wiki
Itasha (痛車 ?) is a Japanese term for an otaku fad of individuals decorating the bodies of their cars with fictional characters of anime, manga, or video games (especially bishōjo game or eroge). These characters are predominately "cute" female. The decorations usually involve paint schemes and stickers. Automobiles are called Itasha, while similar motorcycles and bicycles are called itansha (痛単車 ?) and itachari (痛チャリ ?), respectively.

I was tempted to put these in the spotted section as if you look down I spotted a GtiR in the midst of all this which is only the second I've seen in the country! It had a roll cage and was stripped out a little which is cool but it had different wheels front and back which was kind of weird. Overall I was impressed with the effort put into the cars but less was definitely more for me where stickers are concerned.

I thought I'd finally post it all up for Martyn.

Trying to get the Fuji building into the shot in the background and failing

Its a bloke in a dress playing on his one arm bandit in the back of his van... obviously!

It's pretty scary from the front too!

Manga car show chicks

This was obviously stuck on for the show but I had to stop myself from laughing too hard whilst taking the photo

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There's some really good ones in there... and some dogs too.

There is something strangely appealing about putting dirty great anime pictures on your car; I probably wouldn't go with the cutesy stuff, but some Gundam would look quite good (or the obvious Godzilla on a GTR). - If I was going to put a woman on it, it would be Motoko Kusanagi (I really like GITS).
Now that I think about it, the GTiR has already got a touch of the anime about it with that rear wing.

That AE86 is just asking for some Initial D on it too...

You get to have all the fun Jim.

Last edited:

Garef

I thought the black gtr was ok.

If you look at the pic of the white r32, what the crap is going on with the wing on the r33 in the background. Looks like a barry boy type contraption with the new wing placed on top of the old one..

olliecast

each to their own and all that.

i really don`t like it.
reminds me of cartoons

Last edited:

vss irvine

cheers jim!

as much as i like a sticker....

these are a bit ott!

japanese have some weird feckin ideas, as well as some good ones!

ill need to get the pictures up of the cool stickers you,ve sent me!

now they are impressive!!

MORF114

I think they look good but if i looked at them again id probably think they would look worse the more i looked at them except the chicks ofcourse, there is a guy next to where i work sticking a s2000 engine in one of those ae86 just like the one out the cartoon even has the jap writing on the doors looks shit but will probably go like stink once finished.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
(I really like GITS).
I bought the whole box set when I was last in UK to try and help with my Japanese. Most of the time I just read the subtitles though :oops:

My favourite car was probably the black GTR as I thought it looked subtle and not too gay. My wife preferred the colourful cars so it takes all sorts.

In Japan, any AE86's all seem to be black and white now after the cartoon!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I got the impression that there are some dubious translations anyway - if you watch an episode off the net with 'fansubs' on it, you can get quite different dialogue from the dubbed version (and the official subtitles too).

Yes, the GTR is good: Subtle with complimenting colours; they haven't gone too far so it looks like a weapon (rather than a cartoon)... I'm trying to remember the other cars that featured in Initial D, because I'm sure there was a black GTR, but I think it was an R32.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Short sentences Japanese language using. Sound like yoda it does.

....I guess its inevitable that there is interpreatation.

darkyGTI-R

:thumbsup:Oh my God those mad Japs Love the R though should of been same wheels all round though suprised they didn't put MANGA on them lol!!!

J

jonesey

I don't know if it's worse that it's being done or that it seems so popular over there....??weird tastes:?