Is it time to rebuild?

Keira

the efficiency of the intercooler was probably far worse off for not having a bonnet on there tbh and i'd imagine, the charge temps were alot worse off for it. The point of the scoop, as im sure you are aware is to put air through the intercooler, without it, it would probably have just flowed straight over it :doh:

Last edited:
B

benp

Ya ya ok im a mong I know, you have know idea how pissed i am this happenend. I did the compression test again with a better gauge.
1 -130
2- 125
3- 130
4- 130
So I guess those arn't terrible numbers but a ringland must be cracked shouldn't it? We put some oil down the cylinders and the compression jumped to 160. I think im gonna order some new pistons next week. What do you guys think?

P

pulsarboby

yeah you have worn rings, but in all fairness those readings arent excessively low, unlike the first readings you took!

if i were you i now wouldnt bother with the rebuild untill it got worse (it may be ok for months & months) the readings are all pretty similar which is a good thing.
get the most from the engine you have, and when it does eventually decide to call it a day, then rebuild it;-)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
yeah you have worn rings, but in all fairness those readings arent excessively low, unlike the first readings you took!

if i were you i now wouldnt bother with the rebuild untill it got worse (it may be ok for months & months) the readings are all pretty similar which is a good thing.
get the most from the engine you have, and when it does eventually decide to call it a day, then rebuild it;-)
I know what I'd do.

I'd buy a spare blown engine or bottom end now and rebuild that whilst your waiting for your existing one to call it a day. Then just swap it over when rebuilt.

B

benp

Ya that is a good idea but, I might just rebuild this one over the winter I won't drive the car anyways, I would like to put in a better clutch and possibly a quaife so I mine as well put some better pistons in while I do the gearbox and clutch, gearbox depends one money.