Irritating Vibrating noise???

B

Binny

hi guys

i noticed yesterday when driving around that my car has developed a really annoying vibration sound. it only happens between 2 and 3k when in any gear or just revving whilst in neutral. from idle up to 2 its fine but shortly after the induction note changed to wot i can only discribe as a 'deeper' note that sounds very much like a vibration. after 3k it goes away. if you hold the revs anywhere between 2 and 3k and lift off you foot from the gas the noise goes as soon as the needle drops below 2k.

i had the same sort of noise once be4, and it turned out to be the alarm had slipped and was banging on an ic pipe and vibrating at the same sort of revs. i sorted the alarm and remount it securely. problem fixed. but this time i cant see any obvious things vibrating or catching anywhere.

now it could be a totally different thing but when i turn the car off, as the engine is cutting out the car sudders and make a juddering noise like a short door knock i suppose. could these two noises be related and if so where are they coming from.

if anybody knows wot it could be can you please shed some light on the subject cos i dont have the time at the mo to start fidding around for stupid little things like this.

thanks in advance

binny

CruiseGTi-R

your engine tries to carry on running a bit when you turn it off?

isn't that normally pre-ignition / det?

Exhaust slipped off any of its rubber mounts (mine did this).
Engine mounts ok? View engine when brake on, let clutch out a bit, get engine rocking?

B

Binny

i dont think the engine is trying to run when turned off it just judders to a stop when you turn the key. it doesnt seem any different to switching off any other engine its just it judders/shakes when doing so.

somebody else has mentioned the exhaust knocking. could this be the answer to the vibrating???

P

pulsarboby

sounds like you got a wobble on your left hand gingle pin matey!

youngsyp

I agree with Cruise, sounds like you may have a duff engine mount. You may want to check the front and rear engine stabilisers first and work your way round. The front stabiliser is easy to check (middle of the engine, on the big tubular cross member below the rad). The rear one is a bit more difficult as, it's under the plenum !

B

Binny

from wot i cant tell i think i've solved the problem. i got home last night and spent an hour going over the whole car checking all nuts, bolts, hinges etc to make sure they were all as tight as they should be. a few of them were a little loose on some of the heat shields at the front of the engine by the turbo, all of which had washers on them too which would only had worsened the problem. started the car and revved the engine a few times, and all was fine. left it running while i checked the exhaust. it felt fine but i gave it a push and wiggled it about abit until i was confident it wasnt banging or catching on anything. revved the engine again to make sure the noise hadnt come back when the temps were really warm and all is well. when i turned the engine off it didnt shake or judder like be4 so i can only imagine that playing around with the exhaust and moving it irratically has prevented it catching and sorted all the problems.

i think i might change the engine mounts anyway cos they are starting to look a little warn. how many mounts are there in total and where can i get a decent set, nismo etc???

thanks for all your replies anyway guys, very greatful.

binny