Intercoolers??

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there are any standard intercoolers from any other vehicles that could be front mounted to the Pulsar?

My friend has an S13 200 and he's managed to put on a Saab intercooler for about £50 plus the cost of pipes etc. He's able to run something up to and a bit over 300bhp. I'm looking to run similar horses with a boost possibly more than a bar.

Failing that how much boost and power can fitting the standard Pulsar intercooler to the front manage?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Mark Evans has front mounted his standard GTiR intercooler and has a proven 425bhp...

A

Anonymous

don't go too big as you will just create more lag as the pipe run will be longer anyway.

I found that a bigger cooler needs a bigger blower to fill the space quicker and to prevent any more lag sesnation as the air travels through the bigger space.

An R33 std cooler should be more than adequate or even mounitng the std one.

all yuo want it for is to reduce heat soak and to lower the intet temp for safer running at hugher boost.

A

Anonymous

Thank you guys, looks like fitting the standard cooler on the front would be more than adequate for what I'm intending. Besides if I feel I need more at a later stage then I've not lost much money and there will be pipes in the rough position anyway.

I had a look on the 'how to' front mount the standard intercooler and was wondering where or how can I modify the end caps for this task? If this is a certain amount of money then would the standard R33 GTR cooler be a better option?

Sorry for all the questions but where's a good place to buy standard coolers such as the GTR's? I've had a look on the GTROC board and there's not much there.

D

DazBGTIR

My R32 GTR intercooler may be available in the not too distant future as i'm fitting a bigger one :D

Daz

Si..

which ever option you go for mate, make sure its the R32 or the R33 cooler you get, these 2 have the end tanks welded on whereas the R34 has the end tanks crimped on, therefore the R34 cant cope with anywhere near the same boost as 32/33. :wink:

S

Sunny Nutter

I have a spare top mount if you want it,
PM me for details! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Well I think I may be sold to the idea of a GTR cooler then;

How large is your cooler Daz and what sort of money would you be wanting? Presumably you must have all the correct sizes of hoses/pipes etc for fitment to the Pulsar?

Any pictures per chance?

D

DazBGTIR

goats_breath - not sure on the exact size mate - but i will try and find out.

As has been mentioned, you will need to get the pipework made up ... but unless you go for a ready made complete kit, you're going to need to do that anyway.

I'm hoping mine will be available early to mid April.

Daz

D

DazBGTIR

goats_breath - my 32 GTR intercooler should be available after 10th April.... let me know if you are interested.

Daz

A

Anonymous

Hello mate,
yeah i'm still interested. Do you know the rough sizes of it and is it made from metal? What sort of price would you be expecting? All being good then you've got a definate buyer!!

BenD

Wouldnt a GTR cooler have two pipe runs, seeing as it is a twin turbo :?

Not much good, i think you will need a GTS-T jobby, as they are single turbo.

Cheers

Ben

D

DazBGTIR

Ben - loads of people have fitted GTR intercoolers onto their GTI-R's. In my 3 1/2 years of GTI-R ownership i saw LOADS of R32 and R33 GTR intercoolers fitted to cars.

I've had a nose around and i THINK the standard GTR intercooler size is
600mm x 280mm x 60mm. The intercooler is indeed metal .... and I believe the 32 GTR I/C is black in colour (although i've not actually had a look).

I'll take a photo of it once it's off.

I BELIEVE the going rate for them is around £175.00.

Daz