Intercooler Opinion

Chris1

Hello all.

Spoke to Bob last night about the build he's going to be doing for me. So excited about it.
He opened my eyes to the fact that the standard top mount is a pretty good unit as is.
The thing is, my last two R's had front mounts, and, if nothing else, I do like the look of them. Bob does have one that he's willing to fit if I want it. It was one of these kits that are for sale on eBay.
I was just wondering if these coolers are any good?
The make escapes me but if any of you have had them fitted, how do you rate them against the standard top mount?

Chris.

ChrisS

Quality wise it should be fine. Think the question you need to ask is are you going to be doing alot of town driving where heat soak will be an issue and what are you aiming for power wise.

Chris1

Quality wise it should be fine. Think the question you need to ask is are you going to be doing alot of town driving where heat soak will be an issue and what are you aiming for power wise.

Well i'm only looking to run 1bar. That was plenty for me in the last pulsar.
It won't be my daily driver but I will be looking to use it as much as possible. So there will be a fair bit of town driving no doubt.

P

pulsarboby

just to add one thing chris which you missed out!
the tmic will have a heat reflective plate fitted on underside of mount (so air can still flow) but it will deflect heat away from the unit itself rather than absorbing it as the tmic does on its own.

forget the aestethics for time being and practicallity of fmic, youll have a faster spooling car with the tmic as i explained, but at end of it the choice is yours!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Most eBay front mounts don't cool as well as people think.

I know Geoff has had back to back temp testing with an eBay job and a Forge unit. The eBay unit cooled a few degrees (6-7) better where the Forge was 15+ degrees different (iirc)

If you’re running around town at slow speeds then it’s not worth having a front mount as you'll be stop starting and you’re not going to need any power.
If you’re out and about with a bar of boost, then once you are moving the air flow with a top mount should be more than capable.

I do track days and still have my top mount and it works a treat, the only time I've thought that I could have done with a front mount was when I’m drag racing and if I hike the power/boost over 1.4bar.

So in a nut shell keep the top mount, its fine for road use and keep the lagg down :thumb:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
This from Mr "EVO 8 intercooler"? - I too remember Geoff saying this; there's more to an intercooler than what size it is (and how pretty it looks). There is a reason that some of the intercoolers cost more; they work better... as to which is the best, and what's not worth the money, I really couldn't say.

nimhbk

i have now had the nissan top mount
Which as stated above spooled alot quicker(car seemed Quicker) then autobahn88 fmic i had, and also the Radtec i now have.
If i was to do it again i would go with a nissan or an Arc and keep the car simple.

Chris1

Well that's rather interesting about the different cooling temps.
A mate of mine designd the forge unit so he will be pleased to hear that, although I'm sure that he already knows.
Thanks so much for the advice.
You see so many pulsars running fmic that it's easy to take it as gospel.
I'm quite happy to stick with the top mount now, a quicker spool-up time is bound to mean big smiles.