Installing ORC Ogura Clutch/Flywheel combo

AFDanHef

I'm going to be installing my Ogura clutch/flywheel combo tomorrow. I've read several how to guides around the internet so I don't think it will be too hard ... just time consuming. I have access to a lift and tons of tools so that should make it easier. I've bought a new release bearing .... are there any other hints or tips or parts I should buy before I get started?

I'm going to try and take a lot of pictures so maybe I can do a better how-to guide afterwards.

Trondelond

What kind of clutch is it? Twin plate? Single? :)

If ORC -as OS Giken - supply their own release bearing (looks like they do), check if the bearing needs a specific carrier. I ran into this problem with my OS clutch.

I didn't think ORc did a GTiR specific clutch. If you have a 200SX clutch kit you will find that the flywheel bolts are too small and need to be drilled out

AFDanHef

I worked on it all day today and just got everything tore down. I haven't even tried fitting the clutch yet. I really hope the clutch works.

AFDanHef

I finished this clutch install last week. It took me about 2 1/2 days to get it done and that was in a full shop with lift and access to tools. I wasn't really in a hurry and I also changed the shocks and springs to GABs and some lowering springs so I worked on it for almost a week to get all that done. I could only work on it a few hours on certain days.

Anyone who has done one of these is going to hate me but .... I have no Y-bracket and also my "bastard bolt" was already missing!!!!!!! 8) WOOOHOOOO!!!!
The clutch I took off was in pretty good condition so I know someone has changed the clutch before.

I think I spent about 25-30 hours on the clutch swap ... It was pretty rough but now that I look back at it I think it was mostly because I've never done it before. I think if I had to do it again I could cut that time in half. The clutch fit great and worked perfectly when I put it all back together. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!! :-D lol

The new clutch has a really strong engage but the pedal isn't really that hard. I do have one concern ... the clutch pedal has almost no resistance until about half way down and then the only real pressure that feels like actuating the clutch is in the last 1/4 of the clutch pedal travel. I can keep my foot all the way down on the clutch and just push with my toes on the last 3 inches or so to shift. This is AWESOME for quick shifts but is it normal or correct. Do all racing clutches feel that way?? Also the clutch pedal will stick about half way up. I have to tap it with my foot and then it will pop back into full up position.

I thought maybe I need to bleed the clutch slave cylinder but I didn't disconnect any of those lines so there shouldn't be any air in the system.

Any suggestions or is that the way it's suppose to be.

I'm going to post some pics up but I'm not going to do a full "How to" because they can be found easily enough.

Last edited:

STU666V

Try to bleed it again? Did you remove the clutch hose? best just to remove the 2 bolts and remove the servo bit.

You can adjust it beside the pedal too, that might help?

AFDanHef

I didn't disconnect any of the lines but I will give it a bleed and see if it helps. What does the adjustment at the pedal do??

STU666V

There is a threaded bolt with a lock nut, you can get more travel, Moves your bite up or down.

sure there is a bolt so you can set the height of the padal too.

AFDanHef

That's cool I'll play around with it a little but I actually like the bite where it's at. It's only a couple of inches off the floor and is great for quick shifts. I was mostly just wondering if that is normal for a clutch like this??