Installing a non powered steering rack

StephenSunnyN14

Hello,

im planning on installing a non powered steering rack from a cheap N14 in my N14 GTI, has someone else done that before?

Im wondering if the steering column also have to be changed to the non powered one. The product numbers arent the same so im hoping some one can tell me why and whats the difference.

thank you!

vss irvine

no you dont need to change the coloumn, but you will need to find some way of tensioning the water pump if you remove the powersteering pump.

also you realise your steering will be REAL heavy?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
^As above. The steering will be really heavy on a FWD GTi without the power steering; probably Ok when you've got the speed up, but no good for trying to park it.

Jon Olds

Ive had the PS belt come off mid rally (gravel trap......) and believe me you want power assistance...
Jon

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Didn't someone suggest fitting the electric pump off a Corsa B to keep the power assistance, but lose the driven pump?

StephenSunnyN14

Thanks for the reply's!

The waterpump tensioning will be possible by a gspec tension pulley, so thats not a problem.
And offcourse i understand that the steering will be heavy, but because its a tracktool i will not have to park the car alot.

The other reason the steering was heavy when the belt ran off is because the system is still with hydraulics and everything. A non powered system doesnt have that ;-)

Jon Olds

I have just completed a fully electric corsa c rack conversion on a mk1 golf. One of the reasons was so I could get opposite lock on quicker to catch slides. Same reasoning would apply to PAS on a GTIR
Jon