Installed a Forge FMIC w/out cutting bumper

celm

what i had to do to do it was nothing.i dont know why forge didnt think of it.or they did and wanted you to cut up your front bumper

B

Boo

Neat - cutting out the bumper, is the one thing that has put me off a FMIC..

Did you modify the Forge FMIC or your car

Can you supply any details?

Cheers

Ben

celm

only thing i did was that i relocated the IC like 1 inch back from where forge wanted it.i trimed the back part of the bumper.modified the driver brake duct

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I take it there's still room for the power steering cooling pipe? I'm pretty sure I didn't have an inch behind my Forge to move it back.

celm

the PS cooling line will be monted where there horns were and im going to put the hornsbetween the fender and fender well

celm

thanks EX-GTIR,thats why its taking me longer to install the kit cause i want to keep stock looking as possible!!!!

LeeSmith

Looks real nice mate. That's what I want to do, but wasn't sure on the old number plate mount....i suppose it could always be cut out and smoothed.......I was gonna put the pl8 on the right hand side of the front bumper....

C

chrislloydus

When i designed the Forge front mount cooler, we did have a period of consulatation where we decided what to do with the front bumper. There were two schools of thought - the 'stealthy' approach to look as stock as possible, and the full on 'open mouth' rally look.
To save extra hassle on installation we decided it was easier to cut the soft plastic of the bumper for most people than it was to relocate the steering cooler lines and the horns, and move the cooler backwards. The open mouth look was a big hit !
Of course its up to the installer which way they do it, but you will need to fabricate new bottom brackets to hold the cooler if you move it backwards. Of course the numberplate would have to be moved too !

I really like your install though :D

C

chrislloydus

Im not the maker....i just designed it ! Forge gave me a blank canvas, and an intercooler that was roughly the same size as the mouth of the bumper. I took a week off work and sat there to see which way would be the easiest for a home mechanic. As it turned out you do have to do a little frame cutting but its unavoildable without replacing the radiator and going over the top, but that would have added 'draining the coolant' into the equation which puts some people off.
I think its a good compromise. The kit today is much better than when i had it, the mandrel bent turbo outlet is luuuuuvly. The one piece bend under the front cross-member used to be a three piece affair that had to be cut by the user, but Forge had the hose custom made by samco in one piece.
End of history lesson !

Chris