Inlet Pressurising Test Issue

olliecast

Morning,
Just been pressure testing my inlet with using the valve attached to the turbo inlet technique.

Tried Pressurising the intake system and found a leak in the vacuum lines. Fixed, retested and there now seems to be a leak sounding like its coming from the drivers side of the head. I can`t feel the leak from the outside but its pressurising the rocker as i can see the gunk coming out of the breather on my forge catch can (i`m running a custom inlet so there is no circulation pipe).

Could it just be that my throttle butterfly on one piston is worn/ needs setting up (i`ve always experienced a high idel of ~1050), or could it be something else?

Cheers,
ollie

I've tried doing this many times and I can't get it to pressurise hardly at all although there are no signs of leaks. You could try screwing in all the throttle butterfly adjustment screws, not sure if this would help

olliecast

will this just upset the balancing of the throttle bodies?

what about the stop screws on the throttle body linkages? could they not be allowing the butterflies to fully close, therefore allowing air to pass into the cylinders?

just to add, there`s loads of running curdled milk like stuff coming out of the return pipe from my forge seperator, could that have anything to do with it?

P

pulsarboby

sounds to me as though you have a blow on the h/g ollie, the milky stuff is water mixed with oil which causes the gunk.
have you still got the oil / water seperator fitted? if not then that could possibly be the reason for that.

also by pressurising the inlet im not sure that you would gain anything as i believe there is an air bypass valve fitted so the air would escape into cylinder anyways and eventually pressurise rocker cover.

dont start messing with the throttle bodies linkage as youll only booger it up they are preset from factory and should never need adjustment!
i would be more worried regarding the mayo in that rocker cover, something not right there!

olliecast

the mayo doesn`t seem to be in the rocker cover though when you look under the filler cap, only within the separator. its definately onthe return to the sump though so that can`t really be doing it any good. I`ll go check the rocker cover breather pipe, see if there`s any mayo in that

olliecast

just been out and checked and it seems there`s a small amount of mayo in the line from the rocker cover to the seperator. This though seems like it`s come back from the seperator.

Onthe forge seperator, i`ve got the downward facing tube with a small air filter on it (this usually returns to the inlet with running a standard intake pipe),
the straight pipe coming off the seperator goes to the rocker and the lower pipe coming off goes onthe return back tot he sump.

could it harm it using a beer can or something, along with a fresh piece of hose from the rocker cover the use as a temporary catch can in order to see if this mayo is really coming from the rocker?

P

pulsarboby

it could well be just condensation ollie, obviously i cant see how bad it is so im only hazarding a guess! providing your not losing any water and theres no oil in the header tank then i guess that will be fine!

olliecast

it could well be just condensation ollie, obviously i cant see how bad it is so im only hazarding a guess! providing your not losing any water and theres no oil in the header tank then i guess that will be fine!
you guesses are very much appreciated mate :)

i`m not using a noticable amount of coolant, but i`ll carefully monitor the level to see if i`m using any. What would the oil look like in the header tank?
my coolant is very rusty colour at the moment. Think i`ve got a very rusty rad. Or could this be the sign of the gasket going?

oh how topics change in the wonderful world of gtir`ing!!

P

pulsarboby

should be bluish colour if your using antifreeze (although some are yellowish or red in colour) there will be an oily film floating on surface if the two are mixing anywhere!
if you take to a local garage they can do a sniffer test on it which only takes around 5 minutes which will confirm whether its ok or not.
if there is just a slight leak and you have a steel gasket fitted then you may get away with another 45 degrees turn on tightening the head bolts which will hopefully stop the leak.

olliecast

i`ll get this sniffer test done. The coolant is 100% not blue. But only does orange after its been standing. What would a "rusty" colour suggest?

warringtonjack

Orange coolant could be linked to someone previously trying to stop a leaky rad with radweld or some other such product. Ultimately does it no good at all in my book. :roll: