improved fuel economy...

andygtir

was just wondering if anyone has seen an improvement to their fuel economy by fitting a chip/new ecu or even a fuel controller. i remember reading that the r runs very rich on part throttle so was thought that by having the car mapped properly throughout the rev range at different throttle positions i would notice a marked improvement???

it just got me thinking after memskkki said he gets 200 miles to a tank even though the loon runs 1.4bar and i'm stuck on standard boost doing upto 200miles a tank. :shock: though most of the time its much less but thats down to a heavy right foot. :twisted:

i want to see an improvent for the general slow around town driving really. and if can convince myself that the fuel controller will pay for itself after a while then i'll be forced to go ahead with it! :lol: :wink:

any thoughts...

M

memski

200miles is a minimum Andy, have had ~300 before (ask Rsnissan, on the way to and from RC :p ).

If you have a decent fuel controller then it can be mapped leaner lower down the rev range, hence saving you fuel when cruising. This is what tuning is about, efficiency and getting the most out of your car. Being a low compression turbo engine, you can't expect miracles however :cry:

A

Anonymous

just had my SAFC2 tuned.. will let yas know if my fuel efficiency improves

was initially 250kms / tank, no matter how I drove it

andygtir

cheers bl3r keep me posted. 8)

my best tank was 330miles (30mpg) - down the motorway and worst 170miles (15mpg) - mainly country lanes.

its really the about town driving @ 30-40mph that i want to imporve if i can, as thats where most of my drivings done at and even if i can only squeeze a few extra miles out of the average tank then in the long run it'll be worth it.

G

gotoinstant-redline

best 315miles and worst 97miles..

the first was while i was running in the car. very little boost is any at all and nothing over 4k rpm.

the second was from brighton to reading. full tank wehn i left, empty when i got here..

L.

Cris

330 miles to a tank!

Wow that's good. Seeing as I can only ever get 10 gallons in mine (25 litres) that's more like 33mpg, which is what I used to get in my Sunny GTI.

I normally get 220-280 miles. Got a bit better when I ditched the CAT. Perhaps a boost/fuel controller would help...

G

gotoinstant-redline

25ltr is not 10gallons.

10 gallons is 37.8L
25L is 6.6gallons...

so you are getting 42mpg if you are doing 280miles on 25L.. seems a bit unlikley to me..

L.

cherry1809

What's the average mpg in real terms (not what Nissan claims) i.e. round town and the odd blat up the A roads.I'm hopefully getting one VERY soon and my car at the mo is getting about 15-20mpg,should i expect the same?

Mr GTiR

fuck! i get about 160 miles on a full tank! :shock: and that's taking it easy!

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

andygtir

What's the average mpg in real terms (not what Nissan claims) i.e. round town and the odd blat up the A roads.I'm hopefully getting one VERY soon and my car at the mo is getting about 15-20mpg,should i expect the same?
average is just over 200miles to a tank around 20mpg for a standard(ish) car...depends how you drive, i like to hear the fluttering and churping so its always on/off boost to get the proper soundtrack :D driving miss daisy style should get a bit more but then thats not what the cars about really.

luke mate 97miles!!! i've got to see this beast in action...any news on the box yet mate :?: :?: :?:

i managed to squeeeze in 11 gallons the other day thats 50litres...£40 of optimax :shock:

****! i get about 160 miles on a full tank! and that's taking it easy!
lol, i thinks someones welded your throttle to the bulkhead! :D :twisted:

E

Edd

best i've had is about 280 miles to a tank

worst i got was 35 miles to just over half a tank :shock: 8) :twisted:

to be honest, you'll average 150 miles to £30.

These cars arent good for MPG and some people can only get 150 miles to tank no matter how they drive, others are lucky and get more.

C

caz

Was reading on the Evo forum that our cars are even more thirsty than theres and quite a few other jap beasts too. Main reason why I'm giving mine up :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

G

gotoinstant-redline

i found out that mine was over fueling due to a daughter board installed in the ecu.. didnt knwo it was there till i had a look oneday.

once the car is back on the road (within 3 or 4 weeks i hope) i'll be well happy to turn up to every meet and show it off :)
still needs a few finishing mods and then some other smaller bit, but the you'll get the idea.

L.

A

Anonymous

well, after having SAFC2 tuned etc ..

my fuel economy.. :cry:

37 litres got me 231 KILOMETRES (not miles, HAH)

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

oh well, it definitely has more power in 2nd gear.. much smoother, damn city driving :evil:

going to replace spark plugs I think, and clean all the pipes and stuff