Imported Pulsar - VIN isn't 17 digits?

Cosmic73

My VIN isn't 17 digits and won't register with the HPI check i did before i bought it.
Its a 1998 import so maybe this has something to do with it.

The chassis stamping ties up with the plate RNN14-100xxx, which also ties up with the paperwork (old MOT's etc) but this is all 11 digits (or 12 if you count the dash)
I'm worried that when i apply for the V5 (which was lost) they'll refuse it unless it's 17 digits. Do i need to add some zeros somewhere?

The model number is EBYNRVFN14TDG--- but this 15 digits (18 if you count the dashes)

splmum

The chassis number is ok, but you are missing 1 digit from the model number, you must have copied it wrong. Check it because it will be there.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
1998 seems too late for an N14 pulsar (the model change to N15 was in 1995); is that when it was imported?
Either way, it won't be recognised by any VIN checker I've ever used. - FAST is about the only thing that will recognise it.
At the end of the day; if that's what's stamped into the body, that's the VIN whether they think it's too few digits or not... like the engine serial number that just says SR20 on my V5.

I'm sure you told me my model number is valid in FAST, but it contains no information about my car Gary.

Cosmic73

Thanks for your reply Pobody, what you say makes sense. The Vin is the vin so thats that. :innocent:
Year of manufacture was 92, imported 99, sorry i must have mistyped 98 o_O
Cheers:grinning:

splmum

George, FAST is "old hat" and so inaccurate, we are starting to find out. I am working with another member from gti-roz with a different system that appears to be more accurate, so stay tuned, we might yet be able to confirm some more information on your R. We'll have to see how it rates when we get info on numbers, that don't show up in FAST, but have vehicle info.

Cosmic, as I said if you have a '92 model, then the small squarish silver plate on the firewall will have (wrong 17 edited) 18 digits, be they - - dashes or letters.
Take a photo of it.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The model number on mine also has 18 characters if you include either the dash or the final A. o_O

splmum

Yeah sorry guys, slipped on the keyboard, there are 18 digits on the plate (my earlier post edited) for the model number, like the following combinations,

EBYNRVFN14TDALJDBA (all letters)
or
EBYNRVFN14TDAL--BA (dashes and letters)
or
EBYNRVFN14TDAL---- (dashes)
or
EBYNRVFN14TZALJ--A (changes the TD to TZ with the same combinations above)

and of course
EBYNRRFN14TDAHS--A (RR instead of RV for the RB version with the same combinations above).

Cosmic posted EBYNRVFN14TDG--- , which is only 13 letters (must be a minimum of 14) and 3 dashes (can only be a maximum of 4), thus the model number posted is WRONG, so there is no way you could check it with any system as it wouldn't recognise it.

As I said, a photo of the plate will verify what the model number is.

Cosmic73

Thanks for your reply, good to hear my gtir is normal.
I've definitley got 18 digits for the model number (15 +3 dashes)
Ebynrvfn14tdadg---
Sorry about any confusion but i missed a digit out in my original post
They're bastard to read!
Thanks

splmum

Sorted :grinning:
Can you send my a PM with your full VIN so I can include you in the database being built of known GTI-R's around the world.
Gaz