to do this?
is he talkin out his batty or not
how hard can it be?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Courtesy of Frank. :wink:

turblio said:
Thought this would be useful as the question is often asked...

Before you carry out this little task it is vital the engine is at full working temp as our cars run at a few degrees of advance until warmed up,
To set/check your ignition timing. (Courtesy of Turblio)

Run engine to normal temperature,
Stop engine,
Disconnect TPS,
Restart engine and rev it to 3500 rpm 3 or 4 times (this puts the ecu into timing reset mode I have been told)
connect timing light
you want the 20 degree mark (right hand side mark)
move dizzy so the correct mark lines up with the pointer
stop engine
reconnect TPS
restart engine and road test should be better than before
listen for pinking, if you are not using a high octane fuel you may need to back the timing off to about 18 degrees
and that is it hope this helps
Frank

ps the TPS plug can be found under the right hand side of the top mount
sometimes attached to a black retaining clip

A

Anonymous

I cant see the timing marks on my bottom pulley? Am i looking in the right place? Can you see it from the top?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
They're only little nicks in the outer edge. It might be worth giving your pulley a quick wipe if they aren't visible. If you can see the pulley from above, you should be able to see the timing marks. :wink:

celm

IF im running 93 octane ,FMIC,Boost controler set at 1 bar what degree should me timming be?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
celm said:
IF im running 93 octane
:shock: can you get hold of anything better, we use 97ron (superunleaded) minimum here or 98ron (Optimax).
I don't know what the figure should be, but on 93ron retarded enough to lose alot of power I'd say. :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just done a search. :wink:
You 93 is PON, Pump octane number. It's an average of RON and MON. We tend to go by RON as that's what they put on the pumps here.
Still don't know what timing you'd need tho. :oops: I'd suggest as soon as det is detected you back it off abit to be on the safe side.

GINGA

On that octane/ron of fuel I think i'd set it for about 15 degree btdc (20 is standard on 100 ron)

T

tombola

boost

looked at my it only has 5 timing marks on it
which the right one for 20 degrees btc