ignition timing problem?

gtir bean

i was just trying to set my timing as it says in the how to guide and when i was setting it to about +19 the timing would advance to about +38?iwhen i retarded the dizzy about as far as i could it would take it back to about +20 but would get knocked right back by the ecu i would imagine and the rpm would drop.after this i would set it to +19 again and sometimes the timing would jump to +38 or so again and the rpm would jump up.is there a set rpm that the timing is advanced by the ecu?what should the timing be at idle when the tps is connected?mine is about +10,i think i got it set eventualy but im not sure.it does seem to pull smoother now than before,it was about +13 before i done anything.

ram5ay

I would just ignore the timing with the tps plugged in, leave the ecu to do its own thing as it will alter the timing depending on the circumstances.
When you unplug the throttle position sensor you are setting the base timing (which is all you need to do) as this should drop the ecu's controll out of the equation.
:wink:

edited a bit cos i re read your post and dont think what i wrote made sense :roll:

ram5ay

Yeh when I set mine I got the odd flick/jump but I just put this down to an old dizzy or something, as long as you can set it and ignore the odd glitch I wouldn't worry too much.
Had to re set the idle when I've unpluged the tps on these motors in the past so that I can set timing at correct revs, should be around 850/950 rpm iirc. May have to re adjust again when you plug the tps back in.