Ignition Timing Marks

ram5ay

Hi, I have a UK spec R :D .
I need a bit of help with ignition timing to try and find out how many degrees each timing mark on my crankshaft pulley is.
My pulley has five marks on it, and I therefore assume they are 0, 5, 10, 15, and 20 degrees.
I know some pulleys have 6 marks as in this thread:
http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16318
but mine defo has 5
If I'm right I recon my cars running about 14deg which is mayb a bit on the safe side :? .

GINGA

R u sure you've only got 5 marks :?: reason I ask is sometimes alittle dirt can make seeing the marks very difficult, nice little trick is to jack the car up and look from underneath then put alittle paint in the grooves to make them easier to see if future :wink:

ram5ay

:shock: ooops :oops:

Ok so I jacked up the motor and checked again, turns out there are 6 marks :oops:
They had white paint on them - except for the first one
But hey, it is pretty dark down there 8)

So looks like I've got a good few deg adv to play with :)
Thanks for the help.

hmmm

does the iginition timing have to be 20 on UK cars aswell? as people set their japanese pulsars to 19 if they are using optimax.

O

one Gti-R

Re: ...

hmmm said:
does the iginition timing have to be 20 on UK cars aswell? as people set their japanese pulsars to 19 if they are using optimax.
glad to hear that you found the 6th mark....... :lol:

also my car is running roughly 25-30 degrees advanced, as timing will always variy slightly.

I have no problem with running the car this advanced. I still run stock boost and only use BP ulitmate fuel. 98 octane.

If i was to increase the boost in the car I would retard the timing back down to 20degrees. However I have had a fair share of runs against other GTI-R's running .8 bar and I still beat them or a neck and neck with them. only R's runnign 1 bar get a slight advantage over my car.

I recommoned advancing the timming unless you want to run more than 1 bar boost.

ram5ay

Re: ...

My UK owners manual states that Ign timing should be set at 20 deg, and that the car should run on premium unleaded (95) at this setting.

Not suffered det since I got my motor, hardly surprising as the timing has been set at about 14 deg. Its now set at 18 deg which I figured would be on the safe side for running a bar, and so far the motor seems happy at that.
I've been using optimax fuel as even when running standard boost the motor seems to run smoother than with premium. Recon its worth payin a couple of pence extra for peace of mind :wink: .