ignition, big turbo's & high boost

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Who on here is still running the stock Nissan coil with a big tubby at high boost.

Got the car mapped over the weekend and suffered spark blow out at anything over 1.4 bar.

I was using

Denso IK27's (gapped at 8 )
Magnecor 8.5 leads
MSD Blaster SS coil

I know the MSD coil really needs a proper driver to work to it's full potencial but as it is is should work as well if not bettert than the 13 year old Nissan one I took off. I could buy the proper MSD driver, that would allow me to keep the same spark gap as I have now.

But I was just wondering if anybody still uses the stock Nissan bits or if you have swapped over to somthing else and if so what youv'e gone to.

Steve

Last edited:

nismoboy

replace all stock items ie coil,cap,rotor arm, ignitoin amp, then use hks s45I plugs and u should be fine for 1.8-2.0bar

ashills

i used to use standard system with decent leads and cheapy plugs never had any problems and stay away from iridiums unless there the proper racing plugs at 40 quid a go

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Bruce was running 2.1bar with the standard ignition setup...

Rishi

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just a thought. Is the MSD coil 9v or 12V? The standard ignition system is 9V under normal operation.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'm also wondering whether you're 13 year old ignition amplifier can give enough oomph to your primary coil that is now probably overrated for a bigger/better driver?

hmmm

ashills said:
i used to use standard system with decent leads and cheapy plugs never had any problems and stay away from iridiums unless there the proper racing plugs at 40 quid a go
So Denso Iridium Plugs (IK24, IK27 etc) are no good then? :doh:

ashills

personal choice and when mapping evo was strongly advised against so confirmed my thoughts for big bhp cars do sustained high speed runs etc ngk racing 9's or 10's are best bet

F

Fusion Ed

As I said Steve, I had issues with the blaster coil not being saturated by the stock ignition amp, and no improvments, so I changed to a evo coil pack driver and paralleled both channels to fire the msd coil and it solved my problems, as well as using NGK racing 9's which IMO are the nuts.

ChrisS

stevepudney said:
Who on here is still running the stock Nissan coil with a big tubby at high boost.

Got the car mapped over the weekend and suffered spark blow out at anything over 1.4 bar.

I was using

Denso IK27's (gapped at 8 )
Magnecor 8.5 leads
MSD Blaster SS coil

I know the MSD coil really needs a proper driver to work to it's full potencial but as it is is should work as well if not bettert than the 13 year old Nissan one I took off. I could buy the proper MSD driver, that would allow me to keep the same spark gap as I have now.

But I was just wondering if anybody still uses the stock Nissan bits or if you have swapped over to somthing else and if so what youv'e gone to.

Steve

Just a thought steve but were your rubber throttle cap things definatly still on the inlet when you got it mapped. Lou Rob had a problem with the spark blowing out at brunters that was put down to the same thing.

I know when mine have blown off theres an imediate drop off in performance. Not had any problems with the spark blowing out though, 1.6 bar standard nissan ignition system/leads ect. HKS plugs.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I have taken advise from several people that know and am sur it was to do with the MDS Blaster coil not being able to it's job properly when spliced into the Nissan OEM stuff.

The way I see it I have 2 choices, either go for something like this http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_4_6200.htm which will make the MSD Blaster coil work to full effect.
Or return to new factory Nissan parts as so many owners seem to be getting big power results there after using the oem parts

Steve