Ignition barrel removal?

S

SunnyGTIR

Anyone know how to take the barrel out of the steering column?
I know you usually have to put the key in a certain position but cant seem to do it.
Anyone :?:

S

SunnyGTIR

I saw the brass pins, thought that they might push in somehow when the key is in certain position. Surely you must be able to remove it without drilling?????
How did you put the new barrel back in, were the brass pins not needed?
Anyone with a manual shed any light on this?
Cheers guys,

ram5ay

I've taken a few ignition barrels out in my time :roll: , not a sunny/pulsar in particular, but a few skylines, scoobys, etc.
Generally you find a small pin somewhere on the barrel (sometimes in a recess) that will push in with about a 2mm allen key or the like, when the ignition is in the ON position.
The entire lock mechanism with key should pull out in one, sometimes helps if you turn the key about a bit whilst pulling outwards.
When you re fit the assembly, it will lock back into place as the small pin pops back out into its recess in the barrel housing. :wink:

Tony

If you look at the back/bottom of the barrel there is a small phillips screw! remove this and you can start the car without the key!!!!

To fully remove the barrel thare are two headless bolts on the passenger side of the steering column! i used a centre punch and hammer to remove these and put them back on!!!!

Tony....