identify noise

GTIR1000

right i have used the search engine and read every topic on this so. my r has a really loud tapping from top end like really loud which increases with speed with the more revs. No smoke from exhaust on or of boost. Now i read it could be big ends or tappets or needs re shimming and to try and localise the sound use a big screw driver and listen to the. so i did this and held it on the top of the rocker and it is very loud. but as i read on here sound can some times transfer to the top end. where shall i place the screw driver to test the bottom end jsut on the block near the manifold or something. i know this subject gets brought up alot but i have read every topic and i know it could eed re shimming etc. what are the main differences to look for when deciding if its a big end or tappets, how much does it cost to sort the big ends out.Im gonan book the car in with bob when i get chance bit of a drive for me but will e worth it m trust trying to do a bit of investigating for my self :)

P

pulsarboby

can you take a vid of the noise?
if it rises with engine revs i would say its topend and shims are way out.

bottom end knocks are really noticable when you feather the throttle between 2-3k rpm its a distinct heavy knock
if it is bottom end and that loud then it will never make it to mine without sticking a rod through the side of block tbh.

GTIR1000

yeh ill get a vid of the noise i have driven the car home and about a bit so it poss cant be the bottom end. The noise is there on start up and its not a heavy knock i dont think, the car doesnt boost properly it hesitates but that could be a number of things ill get that vid up tomorrow.

ps i just sent you a message earlier bob on the other site about some more parts

cheers

GTIR1000

how is that rectified would it be worth me doing an oil change using some thick oil see if this helps or not

cheers jamie

red reading

the oil spray bar's under the rocker cover need cleaning out,the cam's need checking and if worn heavily need replaceing,as per the same for the rocker's and finally the clearences need setting.

GTIR1000

is the cleaning of the spray bars something i could do my self if i took the rocker cover of or is it best to get it to bob to do it.

P

pulsarboby

yep i agree with red herring....deffo not bottom end which is good news for you:).
it sounds like just one rocker or cam lobe is badly worn in which case the defective cam will need replacing along with rocker, oil spray bar cleaned out then reshimmed as dan also pointed out

dont bother changing oil youll be wasting your money as that wont fix it

also DO NOT rev that engine too much or you will throw the rocker and then you run the risk of doing a lot of damage

Last edited by a moderator:

bensmith907

thread revival!!

what was the fix/fault for this? as well as my poor shim clearence tap my engine has now developed a similar noise to this on #4 cylinder. spray bar? cams... worse???

Last edited:

bensmith907

Don't worry. I took off the rocker cover to find 3 very clean non oiled cams. The spray bars had a blockage in them. Cleaned them up put it back together now I'm back to the shim rattle again