I NEED TO DRAIN MYSELF!

P

PaddyPower

Can someone tell me how often the following should be changed (if at all)
I apreciate it is not as important to the running of the car as the engine oild, but does it degrade etc?

1)Power steering fluid.
2)Clutch fluid
3)Brake fluid.

Also how much fluid is required to fill from empty each of the above.

Going to drain my clutch as it seems to have an air block in it and might aswell renew fluid aswell as bleed. What is the best way to remove all the old fluid? Will just pumping the pedal do the trick? :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Brake fluid definately degrades in that it absorbs moisture and this lowers the boiling point so you get brake fade earlier :( The brake fluid in the clutch system won't be so critical as it isn't subject to heat in the same way.

The manual says change the brake fluid every 12 months
I can't find a figure for the P/S at the moment :?

P

PaddyPower

I have to bleed my clutch, but i was thinking as the fluid has not been changed since i have owned it maybe i might aswell replace it with fresh. Is this necesary or shall i just bleed and top up?

How much fluid goes into the brakes?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It doesn't list a quantity, but a 1litre tin should do you, just keep it topped up when bleeding so as not to let air in at the reservoir end. :wink:

When you bleed the clutch, you're effectively changing the fluid as the old stuff is coming out and new stuff is going in, just bleed it long enough for new stuff to come out as well :wink: