hydraulic lifters !!!

yellow gtir

hi all just been told that ny hydraulic lifters have broken so i need to replace them but i dont have a clue what they look like or where i could get them from does any1 know where i can get 1 from to what they look like?? thanks !!!

Mr GTiR

Who told you that GTiR's use hydraulic lifters? Cos they don't know shit!!

GTiR's use sold lifters and if they sound a bit "rattly" then the engine will need shimming up.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Seconded - definitely mechanical lifters.
Do a search for "Cheap Shim" and you'll find (a) the cost of having them replaced with genuine parts, and (b) Boby's quick and cost-effective fix. - If you're up to it, I'd do the latter myself, because Boby will charge you ~£300 for the job as it's quite fiddly and uses two sets of feeler gauges to do it. (That's a reasonable price when you look at the cost of replacing the shims, but not as cheap as your own labour!)

They definitely are 'tappets' aren't they?

yellow gtir

im not to sure but i was told that the lifters have broken and will need changing. Recently my pulsars rocker arms jumped off and for that reason i gave it to the same guy that fixed the rocker arms and shims on my pulsar before. but this time he sead that the lifters have broken and i just wanted to know where i could get them from and ruffly how much they are??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
He's had the rocker cover off and repaired the shims already, and now he's telling you it has hydraulic lifters!? I think he'll find the valves use a new invention called 'springs'. - I would have though that if they'd broken, it would have been when the rocker jumped; shouldn't he have noticed them then and fixed all the damage at once. Typically the valve gets smashed into the piston because it's still down when the piston comes up (as the timing is all wrong given that the cam has skipped).

Maybe I'm missing something, because this isn't making any sense to me. Anyway; if you want genuine parts for your engine, and you don't want cheap fixes; try Nissan. - Nobody can give you advice on a part number for hydraulic lifters because they aren't listed for the engine; shims, valves, and valve springs, can probably be identified and costed though.
EDIT: A set of Tomei double valve springs is ~£400

Last edited:

geoff pine

Take the car some where else as this guy is taking the piss the sr20 de in the p10 primera range has hydraulic lifters is this guy confused because they both have red tops.Which sort of shows you what he knows about gtir,s.

yellow gtir

hi im to sure how the sr20's work to be honest all i was told is to get the lifters changed due one of them been broken, and would the nissan dealers be the best place to get the lifters, and would the part be on the shelf or would they have to bring it over from japan??