how to clean a Air flow metre

O

oz_R_Jr

been looking on here! and people say to do it!!

i was just wondering how the hell u do it!! :roll:

i have taken the conector off it all looks fine and in good nick!
can you do anything eles??
thanksss

i looked at regrounding it! has this help anyone!! in anyway??
i just carnt fine the ground on the block!! i have a top mount! but i havent taken it all apart yet to have a good look!
thankss

J

jiw

To clean it you should soak it overnight in a bath of isopropyl alcohol, pour it through so that it rinses the element off, do not use aerosol to do this as it will damage/break it, jeff.

A

Anonymous

i just did it thisarvo! pulled it off than! tork off the black box (two screws) two wires came out! pourd metho over them!
soft rag ver gental only the back side of the wires were lil dirty!! cleaned up washed with metho agin and replaced! lol dont know what that has done or whatever! but yeah. the soo called expert. i must admit he is pretty switched on!! said it off ya hks pod filter! mines straight onto the afm! said all that could of been off the filter the oil in it!! thats fair anuff.
saying that. could of been giving a wrong reading. (it only plays up on a long trip) anyways.
thanks again.
i dont know how much they are worth!! but they look $$$$!

hmmm

Anonymous said:
i just did it thisarvo! pulled it off than! tork off the black box (two screws) two wires came out! pourd metho over them!
soft rag ver gental only the back side of the wires were lil dirty!! cleaned up washed with metho agin and replaced! lol dont know what that has done or whatever! but yeah. the soo called expert. i must admit he is pretty switched on!! said it off ya hks pod filter! mines straight onto the afm! said all that could of been off the filter the oil in it!! thats fair anuff.
saying that. could of been giving a wrong reading. (it only plays up on a long trip) anyways.
thanks again.
i dont know how much they are worth!! but they look $$$$!

:shock: :?

S

Sunny Nutter

has anyone tried giving it an ultrasonic bath in IPA/methanol/acetone?
surely that would give it the clean it needs?

youngsyp

Jeddeh said:
bump. is the metho or alcohol a good way still?
I use isopropyl alcohol in aerosol form, also known as contact cleaner etc.... Does a very good job imho. I wouldn't worry about it damaging the hot element either as, just think about the velocity of air going over it at WOT ! Just be careful !

I wouldn't use metholated spirits as, they tend to leave a residue.

I didn't bother taking the black box apart either. Can't see the point ?!

GTi-R23

I used carb cleaner, take the AFM off and spray it in where ever you can see, evaporates as it's alcohol based, so no residue.

Don't think cleaning your AFM is all that necessary unless it's really clogged up, which it should never be considering where it is located in the intake track.