How to Change Brake Pads?

hmmm

Ok just need to confirm the process of changing brake pads please. Might get the names of the parts wrong though... :oops:

Remove wheel :p. remove the 2 screws that hold the caliper in place, then remove it. Slide out the old pads. Then put some copper grease on the back of the new pads and slide them in. Push the pistons back in and put the caliper back on and screw closed. Then bleed the brakes.

Correct? and how should i push the pisons back in. Would some large pliers do or will that damage them?

thanks

kyepan

allo, yer that all sounds ok

we use a big c clamp to slowly push the piston back in (remember to take the lid off the resivoir before you do). dunno what everyone else uses.. putting pressure in the center of it is the best way, if you attack the lip or sides with anything it could score it or worse. dunno what else u could use sorry, i guess anything to push the center of the piston back, like the handle of a screwdriver.. or somthing.

also u don't need to do both bolts, you can do the bottom one, and loosen the top bolt then swing the whole caliper assembly up and use a bit of wire or string to hold it in place.

if i remember rightly the bleeding order is left back, right front, right back, left front in case you wanted to know.
let us know how ya get on.

J

jasegould

You wont need to bleed the brakes unless you are changing the fluid, be careful no fluid overflows the reservoir when you push the pistons in (u mite have to drain some from the reservoir) and use copper grease where the end of the pads sit in the carrier

M

Mulisha

If you dont open the bleed port then you wont have to bleed the brakes. Its sometimes easier if you open the bleed port on the brake caliper and then you can compress the piston with you fingers. Just remember you cant bleed brakes by yourself :D

geetee

Take the top off the brake fluid resevoir to prevent pressure building up when you push the pistons back into the calipers. Tie some old rag round the resevoir to soak up any brake fluid that may overflow - you don't want brake fluid anywhere else but in the brake system - it's nasty.

The front brake pistons should push in with a G clamp but I think the rear pistons need to be turned as they are pushed back in..... never done them myself so could just be rumours.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

gtirmouse

when i did the rear pistons they went back in normally, no twisting required
U sure dude? i had to borrow a special tool from my mate who works at nissan to turn and push the piston back at the same time

J

J-GTi-R

You've got some funny rear calipers Kyepan, they're definitely screw-in (so don't go hammering them in like Briitts... :roll: ).

To push the fronts in, I just put an old pad across the face of the pot and use the handle of my ratchet to leaver it in against the other side of the caliper bracket.

Dooie Pop Pop

i get mine done for free by the guy i get my pads from. great bloke. even pointed out that the black diamond pads i got first time round were remarked and he had them in stock for nearly half price 8)