How does the standard oil-separator work ?

A

Anonymous

How does the standard oil-separator work ?
I only see 2 hoses, 1 going to the air intake and 1 going somewhere into the engine ?

I need to know because I'm gonna relocate my battery and my Air-intake, gonna switch them.

A

Anonymous

C'mon, In 5 hours nobody saw this topic and knows how it works ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm not sure of the exact workings inside, but in general terms.

Pressure builds up in the crankcase due to leakage past the piston rings and hot oil. This gas/pressure goes up the pipe to the breathers' inlet where it is separated, possibly by means of being passed through a wire gauze(not certain on that) in the standard case, or using a swirlpot type design(Forge aftermarket) the liquid oil that is separated is then allowed to drain back into the sump, and the vapour side is normally plumbed into the intake and sucked back through the engine. If your breather isn't working that's when you tend to get oil in the intercooler. If the oil starts going into the engine, it mixes with the inlet charge and reduces the octane rating of the fuel and can ultimately lead to detonation.
Hope this is of some help. If I made any mistakes, someone will correct it. :wink:

coxie

in the pipe that leads to the seperator there is a metal plate with a three mm hole right in the centre of . i presume this is to stop debris going in to the sump :roll: