How do I unblock the heater matrix?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I was wordering if anyone can guide me thru the process of unblocking my heater matrix please :wink:

My heater only blows out mild air when on full hot!!!!

oh and where is the heater matrix :oops:

Thank Q

Ben

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could maybe try disconnecting the coolant pipes to it in the engine bay and flushing it through from both pipes, with the heater on hot.
Or
The matrix will be inside the heater. I haven't had it apart on the Gtir, but on my previous car it was a case of take the whole dashboard out, then take the heater out, then take the heater apart (if you need a new matrix):? and flush through in a similar manner to above. Not a very appealing job :(

It may however be your thermostat that needs changing, unless you are sure it's your matrix.

A

AZ STE

Ive not done this on a gtir But on my golf connected one of the bulkhead pipes to a hosepipe and made a drain pipe on the other bulkhead pipe then turned the hosepipe on to flush it, then reverse the hoses around. The heater matrix seemed to be made of plastic honey combe this had collapsed and partially blocked the matrix. Dont turn the hosepipe on to quickly, increase the pressure slowly. :wink:

A

Anonymous

hmmm........ i'm gonna give that a try :)

hello az ste,

i sent a message to ste1988 ages ago and its still in my outbox....that is u aswell init??

Good CD!! some classic tunes (& some weird tunes) 8) )

A

AZ STE

Hi mate had to drop my AOL account as I got hit with the premium rate Hi jack bug and it stuffed my computer so im only now contactable on this tag.Glad you liked the CD mad times :shock: One more thing when you flush the matrix make sure you have the heater control on full heat on the dash slider. :wink:

Shaun

:D Could be you have an airlock :!: Try bleeding the cooling system :!: Worth trying before ripping the dash out :shock: