how do i remove the carbon from my piston?

nitrosgti-r

I have stripped out my JE pistons and am looking to clean them up but im wondering what the best way/solution is to use?

Iv used petrol and elbow grease so far but alot of elbow grease is required and its still not all gone.

Just wondered if there may be an easier way?

PS, petrol is great for cleaning oil from ur engine bay/engine :D Just keep some head ache pills handy lol

MORF114

cup of coffee and a scotchbrite.

Coffee is very good for cleaning stubborn marks off metal.

P

pulsarboby

go up a car spares shop and buy a tin of carb cleaner, i use this stuff on everything its very good indeedy

turbodaily

i use an air tool with a wire brush on it to get most of it off, then finish off with abit of wet and dry or scotchbrite.

agreed carb cleaner is good shit, use it on everything lol

Mr GTiR

Acetone is great stuff but not manypeople have access to it. As i work for a printers we use it at work.

But agreed, carb cleaner is the best stuff to use. I always have 2 cans of it as i use so much of it.

nitrosgti-r

morf are u having a garraffe? coffee? surly not?

where do i get acitone from mark? i know a company that i can get it from but its shut 4 babk holls and i wanna do it this wknd cos the rebuild is very near!! what about thinners? if not ill get some carb cleaner and do some experimenting and post up the results?

wheres them head ache pills then lol.........

MORF114

I sh1t you not mate coffee is alot better than anything to clean metal and it is cheper than anything mentioned above and is in everyones house try it you wont beleive me but it is very good.

Just make sure its not decaff!!

J

jpward

What about old Coka Cola surely as it was originaly an engine cleaner would still be up to the job?

(Ponders the memories of cleaning green half pennies as a child!)

nitrosgti-r

lol. well its all done now anyway and i took the carb cleaner option, oh and i did have a cup of coffee while i did it so i guess the coffee did help in the end haha

Cheers chaps :)

stumo

you need to put the engine back together, get a plant sprayer and spray water into the intake.

after a while you'll have clean pistons (and combustion chamber)

nitrosgti-r

what about just drive into a ditch and bend the rod, that way you get a hole lot stronger and fully checked over engine with lots of brand new gooddies to play with and the credit for rebuilding an R engine ur self haha.

I really dont think ur suggestion will help anyone mate ;)

MarkTurbo

nitrosgti-r said:
I really dont think ur suggestion will help anyone mate ;)
Dont worry mate, most of his suggestions are about as useful as a woman with no c**t ;-) :lol:

Hows it all coming along then, will i need to find some time to put it all back together soon :shock:

nitrosgti-r

haha, cheers 4 that mate :) Yeah its all comming along ok. got me crank etc on the way and then its all go at hamlins. Got me new rings etc so yeah im gonna be calling on your expertise and about 4 weeks mate if thats cool? After run to the sun hehe :)

Could do with a set of turbo pipes if you fancy knockin me up a set??