Hooray! Another brake/wheel clearance thread!

Trondelond

Ok, I'm using a 15x6.5 TE37, ET35 with a 10mm spacer at the moment, which barely clears my 295mm brakes (cp5110 caliper).

I'm looking into getting a set of cheap track-only wheels, and I figured the Rota Grids should do the trick. However, these only exist in a ET38, which would give me VERY little clearance to the calipers. And if they're not the exact same dimensions as the Volks, I'm screwed.

What other options do I have? It looks to me like the slipstreams may have better clearance, but I haven't had that confirmed. I have a set of 15" Volk NR-S on my Honda, but these don't have the rim clearance I need, so I can't even get them over the caliper.

I noticed that the Grid also comes with an 15x7 ET20, but I'm worried that this will stick too far out with R tyres. The 6.5" already protrudes too much.
Team Dynamics would be an option, but they only seem to have 15x7" wheels. So I'm at a loss here, any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Trondelond

I should have specified that I'd like to keep 15's! :D But - spoke clearance won't neccesarily be a lot better just because I up the circumference of the wheel. It might on some designs, but not all.
Team Dynamics have a template you can print out to check the clearance, I wish they all did.

Trip

This is a pic of my 310mm discs with Wilwood superlite 4 pot. Wheel is 16x8 ET35

I placed a paper "tube" and as you can see it was being squashed. If i remember correct, the clearance was 10mm max. The tube is the protection cover of a new sparkplug tip

Slipstream's inner face tapers inwards towards the end. I calculated 10mm from the narrowest (smallest diameter) point. With a lower offset or spacers, i would probably have an extra 10mm clearance.

Trondelond

Are you using Slipstreams?

I'm guessing that the width of the rim won't affect the spokes. The main problem is knowing how far out from the centre of the hub your caliper sticks, as I have a different caliper. But - if we assume that you have 10mm clearance, and your caliper sticks 7.5mm further out than mine, that gives me 17.5mm to play with. Going down from 16" to 15" gives me roughly 13mm less space, which should leave me a whopping 3.5mm clearance to the caliper. I'm considering getting a set, just to try, I suppose I could always sell them if they don't fit.

Trip

they are slipstream. there was a thread somewhere that some guy managed to put 310mm wilwood under Slipstream 15" ET40 with a 5mm spacer.

I too want 15 inch retaining my same 310mm setup. I would go for a very low offset though (instead of spacers) and also going for wide arches.

Trondelond

Slipstreams it is then. Ideally I should buy them with an offset that made the spacer unneccesary, but as I'd like to be able to swap the wheels between my R and my Del Sol, I think I'll have to settle for ET35 for now. Will definately check the Honda first, to see if I have some slack ET-wise. Thanks a lot for your input! :D

whytie

Ill check out my team dynamics i have 295s hispec calipers under my 15s. No spacers needed and plenty of room to spare.

Trip

Ill check out my team dynamics i have 295s hispec calipers under my 15s. No spacers needed and plenty of room to spare.

Can you check clearance between atmost top of caliper with the inner face of the wheel.

Trondelond

Thanks, Whytie! They're 7" wide, I take it? I'm going to have to check if they'll stick too far out myself. But for just track use it shouldn't really matter.