holding back

Matty B

Hi people. Finished the car today, 660 injectors, chipped and mapped ECU, apexi avcr and safc, induction (short) hard pipe. Got all the bits fitted and set up the apexi's. It wouldn't idle at all so adjusted the safc and its perfect. Went out for a run and found that it holds back and actually feels slower than before. Tried adjusting the boost and even turned the avcr off so it ran 0.7 bar, still holding back. First thought was fuel pump but the guy i bought the car from said it had a new walbro fitted but i haven't checked. Could it be anything else? Would it still hold back on standard boost even with a standard pump? The thing is before i put these bits on i turned the boost up to 1.2 bar and it was fine. Strange one. The ecu came from a friend who had exactly the same mods as mine and his ran perfectly. Its too dark now to check the pump so i'll have a look tomorrow.

EVOBAD

no i dont think its the pump mate what plugs are fitted ,i had a similar problem with 1 of the gtir a few years ago it was the solinod on the apexi,is it missing

Matty B

No the solinoid is fitted. I fitted new plugs today as well, NGK iridium grade 8's. I didn't gap them because the place i got them from said they had done it for me. Do you think this could be the problem then?

Matty B

Right, i swapped the plugs over today back to the old ones. No change, still holding back but boosting perfectly at 1.2 bar and holding but the car just wouldn't go. I then pulled the fuel pump out to check it, it is bloody huge but swapped it for a walbro anyway. Went for a run and was all good, went like hell. But now got a new problem, ( its never ending ) the car is now over-boosting. Even with the apexi set at 1.2 it spins round to 1.4. I don't get it, without the walbro boost was fine but car was crap and with walbro car is fine and boost is crap. Anyone know whats going on because i haven't got a bloody clue.

Dooie Pop Pop

when hard boosting you always get a little peak spike before the boost settles back down is that whats happening? tbh it sounds like you had a crappy fuel pump connection like i did when i first bought my car, i replaced the live feed and earth to be sure it was getting full voltage.

what do you mean by chipped and mapped ecu?

Matty B

No its over boosting, it doesn't settle. Probably just a split boost hose ( i hope ). When i say chipped and mapped i mean that guy who had the ecu before me had a daughter board fitted to a standard ecu and then took it to a tuner in leicester. He mapped it to maximise the mods that were fitted to his car. I don't really understand to much about mapping ecu's and the term 'chipped ' probably isn't correct.