Holding back & slight smoke.

Granite-GTiR

Hi all,

I've been having some problems with my R lately, its really not running good and i can't figure it out :cry: .

First problem
Right, had this problem for a while now, the car is really holding back, more so when it gets up to temp. When i put my foot down the car just don't go and the engine sounds abit groggy as if its running on three but not quite that bad. I have an AVCR hooked up and can see that its picking up boost, but the car hardly pulls. A few times whilst having this problem the cars ran fine, then its got up to temp and the problem starts again. Also the exhaust is popping alot and the car backfires from time to time.
I've changes the plugs, dizzy cap, rota arm, fuel filter, leads.
I'm having more fun driving a renault clio :doh: at the moment as i actually goes when i want it too!!!!!!

Second problem
Again, had this problem for a while. I'm getting some smoke (blue) appear from the exhaust when i back off/change gear. Not loads, but its really annoying me now. It doesn't happen all the time either, sometimes i'll be driving like a sunday driver change gear and i'll get smoke appear, whilst i can be driving the car hard and no smoke!!
I've replaced the turbo with one i got from 'Pulsarboby' (thanks again), so pretty sure its not that, done a compression test and got approx. 160 across all 4. Can't see any oil in the intercooler pipes.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Grant.

youngsyp

Possible vacuum leaks for the first one. Or, un-metered air getting into the intake some how. Turbo gaskets not quite up to scratch ?!

Second one, check the breather system.

Granite-GTiR

Thanks youngsyp, I changed all the vacuum hoses the other day coz i thought it might be that, worth another look though.
My mate metioned to check the breather system too, would i be looking for blockages???

Granite-GTiR

Granite-GTiR said:
First problem
Right, had this problem for a while now, the car is really holding back, more so when it gets up to temp. When i put my foot down the car just don't go and the engine sounds abit groggy as if its running on three but not quite that bad. I have an AVCR hooked up and can see that its picking up boost, but the car hardly pulls. A few times whilst having this problem the cars ran fine, then its got up to temp and the problem starts again. Also the exhaust is popping alot and the car backfires from time to time.
I've changes the plugs, dizzy cap, rota arm, fuel filter, leads.
I still have this problem with my R, but have some more information on it.
As i said before, the car runs and sounds fine before it gets up to temp. The car is set up at 1bar and thats what it boosts at before it gets up temp. However i have now noticed that when it gets up temp and starts holding back the AVCR shows the boost levels overshooting to 1.35bar! :shock: and the sound of the turbo spooling up becomes alot louder than normal, but the car don't go anywhere!

Any ideas???

Cheers.

P

pulsarboby

have to agree with mark, it sounds like theres a boost leak or vacuum leak between your actuator and throttle bodies which will not allow the wastegate to open under vacuum pressure, hence the high boosting.
as for the intermittent smoke, it could possibly be worn valve stem oil seals which is allowing oil to bypass the guides and get into the induction chamber.
unfortunately theres no real way to check them other than replace the things.