Hi spec brakes

Garef

One of the pistons has seized on my caliper, obviously it's been like this for a while as my brake pads have worn down completely on one side and are almost brand new on the other, kinda like a diagonal looking brake pad if that makes sense to you lot, any ideas what might be causing this and what is the best way to fix it, cheers. As usual, I hope my explanation has made sense to somebody.

Animaldaz

Get in touch with hi spec and buy a seal kit, if the piston is pitted then you'll need a new one of those too.

antgtir

There may just be a ridge of rust on the piston, so if you can strip the piston from the caliper and use some fine wet and dry sand paper and lightly remove the ridge, refit and should all be working as should, will save a bit of £ as a first stab.

Ant.

gtirmouse

How old are they? if less than 12 months they should do it for free under warranty anyway. my hi spec 325mm discs warped, they skimmed them free of charge under warranty. its worth a shot, it saves you having to mess around with re sealing them yourself, even if they are a bit older than 12 months give em a good clean and try blagging it, you never know could save you a load of time and money :)

Garef

Ok, so one of the pitons is frozen for sure, but on the good one only when pressed really hard, there is a hole in the seal, FFS, never ending with this car, gonna call for a price to refurbish the calipers in the morning, thanks for the help guys.

Garef

Hey Dobby, I got it fixed, it was just the seals, once i got the pads out of they way and took the old boot covers off I managed to move the piston about with a bit of force, Hi-spec said that it was probably because of the hole in the cover and it was losing pressure, but I got a repair kit and it fitted just fine, was simple enough to fit (easier with two pairs of hands) only thing now is that my brake pedal will not build up much pressure, so I'm thinking that because of the new seals and boots on the caliper this is having a knock on effect on the brake master cylinder and I need to replace that now as the old seals can't handle the new pressure if thats makes sense. Let me know how u get on mate, I had a few other problems but managed to fix them as well, nothing major but hopefully when I have the cash i'll get the new brake master, hope that helped mate.

dobby

Thanks Garef. I now have the refurb kit for both calipers and a replacement piston. I will be getting a garage to do it for me as the weather is crap and i need it done asap.

Cheers