Help! I can't select any gears!

Matt Evans

I've noticed that for a while now, my gear change has been a bit off. Then over the last two days or so it got really bad. I had to push the clutch pedal right to the floor and when I tried to select a gear, the stick would just stay there for a second or so and then finally engage.

I adjusted my clutch pedal and bled the system with new fluid only to discover that I could no longer select any gears at all! I re-adjusted the clutch pedal (got it down to a tee now!) and once more bled the system, to then find that the slave cylinder piston was being pushed right the way out when the clutch pedal was pressed, but not returning when the pedal was released, plus the Clutch return lever (I think thats what its called - the bit that the slave piston pushes) was twisted.

Is this lever supposed to have a certain amount of twisting movement in it? Or is it broken and thats why I can't select gears?

MarkTurbo

How much does it twist? It does sound like the the clutch realease fork could be broken :(

Have you taken the rubber gaitor off from around it and had a look around :?:

Matt Evans

I can't actually move the fork very much at all. When you look at it from the front of the engine bay, it used to look vertical (if thats the right term to use) but now its slightly diagonal. I haven't took the gaitor off yet, but I will tomorrow.

Stevo

mine went it snapped, u gotta take gearbox out to replace it or take the whole engine out im affriad mate :cry:
speak to mike ex gtir

Matt Evans

Yes, the withdrawal lever (Release Fork) is definately broken. I took what was left of the dust cover off and could see that its caracked across the one side.

O.k. I know the old 'gearbox out' question has been answered loads of times before, but could someone give me a step by step guide on how to do this particular job? Or maybe just point me in the right direction.
Thanks.