Help! Continuous 'catching' noise from rear drivers wheel?

paz

Hi,

Just taken the R out for its first spin in a month thanks to the broken collar bone. I jump started it, and after about 30 seconds of turning over it fired up and was running fine.

Pulled the car off the drive and got the 'clunk' noise from the back of the car as the the rear brakes unseized themselves. I then did a couple of pumps of the brake pedal driving down the road to clear any surface rust that had built up on the disks and then drove at 30mph down the road.

When I opened the drivers window, I could hear coming from that back wheel on that side a continuous 'catching noise' (similar to when you put a playing card in your bike spokes as a kid). When you speed up the noise speeds up, when you slow down the noise slows down. The car seems to drive fine, just seems that something is stuck - couldn't see anything but it was quite dark so I'll have another look tomorrow

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem like this, doesn't seem to be the exhaust so i was thinking a problem with a seized brake on that side, maybe a bearing or something - any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm just fucked off that after 4 weeks as a cripple, I now still can't drive the R as now it's taken my place :roll: :evil:

Cheers

Paz

paz

Please help :cry: the cars going into the garage tomorrow so it would be nice to have an idea.

I did a search and it sounds similar to problems others have had with worn wheel bearings?

Paz

MarkTurbo

When my R was parked up for a while one of the back brakes was jammed on and when it released it took a big chunk of the friction material from the pad with it which had welded itself to the face of the disc :shock: :lol: :lol:

Have you checked the surface of the discs :?:

paz

No not yet, I had a brief check but because it was going dark I couldn't see clearly. I'll have a look at that tomorrow cheers.

Anymore for anymore?

paz

Tony

If it was the break binding then you would have a hot smell and the wheel would be hot if it was driven for a bit!!!!

Could be a wheel bearing! has the car been parked so it could get wet at all?

Tony....

Dooie Pop Pop

i had exactly the same thing, probably not related unless you have a gravel drivway and a niece that thinks putting stones in your rims is fun :roll: :lol:

paz

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i had exactly the same thing, probably not related unless you have a gravel drivway and a niece that thinks putting stones in your rims is fun :roll: :lol:
:lol: You don't live near me do you?!?!?! :lol: :cry: :wink:

Tony - Its been parked for a month matey in all the snow/ice/rain - figured if it was a bearing on its way out that could have caused it to crack?

Paz

A

andy n

wierd. mine started doing this at the weekend. it stops when i either put my foot lightly on the brake or put the handbrake on 1 notch.

pete-r

mine done this and it took ages to find it,it turned out to be some loose material from the front wheel arch,when i stopped the car it flicked back up against the arch but as soon as i went round the corner again the tyre would catch it again :evil: ,i doubt its this,maybe unless youve had the bumpers off.

Best way to see if its a brake issue is to drive it and either use the pedal to see if the noise gets worse (ie front brake peob) or pull the hand brake up a bit thus identifyin rear brake probs.

Start rulin out possibilities and you'll get to the fault. Eventually :x

I had a similar noise which ended up bein a warped rear disc which was obviously noticably noiser with the hand brake part on.

C

Crazy

I had a similar problem a few months back when a CV boot had split which was causing the joint to click which sounded exactley like I had something caught in the wheel :)

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,Duey had a similar problem some months ago it was really difficult to track down,but in the end we decided to change the rear wheel bearing,when we stripped it all down and put the hub into the press,the bearing just fell out(not appart) :shock: :shock: From what we can gather,at some point the bearing had got hot and seized for a small amount of time and the whole bearing had started to turn inside the hub wearing the fitment eliptical,therefore the disc would slightly wobble catching the pads :wink: We changed the bearing as a temporary measure,but is going to need a new hub when it starts doing it again :wink:

Hope this helps :D

paz

Cheers for the replies all 8)

Had the front passenger side bearing changed on advice from the garage (it would have needed it for the MOT anyway :cry: :lol:) and that appears to have solved the problem :)

Paz