Heater Blower

BMCC

I've recently noticed the speed at which air blows out of the heater can be a bit variable, If I turn it on at 4 or 3 you can hear the blower speed up and slow down a little. Driving into work this morning I had the blower working but then it cut out and stopped working so I switched off the blower to be on the safe side. Parked up and turned it on again and it was working fine.

Is this the Heater Card starting to go? Really not the weather to have no heater or blower for demisting the windows....

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is it failing on 3 and 4 or just 3? Normally they keep working on full speed if it's the card. Mine has stopped working on 4 only, but I think it's a dodgy switch.

BMCC

Is it failing on 3 and 4 or just 3? Normally they keep working on full speed if it's the card. Mine has stopped working on 4 only, but I think it's a dodgy switch.
I believe it works on all 4 settings it just that on 3 or 4 you really hear the blower speeding up and slowing down. Putting your hand over a vent confirms that the air is being blown out faster and then slower in a cycle.

BMCC

Again on the way home the blower is at 2 but nothing happening. Got home and tried the 4 settings on the blower, nothing. Maybe the blower switch on the control panel?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The most common thing (on every car I've had) is the resistor pack/card. Could be the switch, check the fuse hasn't just blown though.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Is it an easy fix to sort out the blowers. Mine stopped on 2 a few years back and last year stopped on 3.
Would like some sort of happy medium with the blowers rather than asthmatic breath to gale force 9 wind...

BMCC

Looks like it is the blower motor that is knackered. I get battery voltage at the connector as well as continuity on the earth. If i remove the motor and turn on the blower it will work but if i pick it up and line it up to put it back into the cavity it stops and eventually stalls. Put it on the floor and it runs again. It is not the connector wiring as i cant get it to drop battery voltage by moving it. I dont know if the blower motor uses carbon brushes but there are lots a bits of carbon in the housing (or something like it). So is anyone got a blower motor for sale?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So there should be one more setting on mine? - Does that mean it's the control panel from a later car, or was it just an option to have the auto setting?

splmum

George, as Doc has said, auto is climate control. Yours is just air on with 4 speed fan.

On the climate control, the auto, on the slider there is also temperature graduations marked ie 20 25 30 on the top bar, so setting the slid a temperature the climate control on auto will turn on and off at the setting on the slider to keep temp constant.

hope that makes sense.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Makes perfect sense. - It's not like it makes any difference because there's no AC anyway, but I was starting to think I might need to install the correct unit in my dash.