headlight scoop

N

Ninja_tune_factory

im not goin to lower my self to this , i no there glass as iv smashed one , that all i have to say on the mater

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jpward

Theres a pic nocking about of an indicator duct and the size would be on par with the headlamp one's plus the rear of the indicator would be a better position to build an enclosure for a filter making it more RAM air type and it has a little indicator in the corner of it!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Ninja_tune_factory said:
im not goin to lower my self to this , i no there glass as iv smashed one , that all i have to say on the mater
Calm down freckles :lol: :lol:

I was only pointing out that the evo lights were plastic, thats how they have modified them so easily and it would be very difficult to mod a glass one in the same way.

A

alfyboy

im sure its legal to drive with a headlight missing as long as it isnt dark :?
Im proberly wrong though :doh:
One of my mates neighbours is a traffic cop ill find out for sure.
The problem with an air feed from the brake duct is the space to get the hose thruogh gets very narrow, maybe only 2 inches of space so its quite difficult to shape the hose to suit

Last edited by a moderator:

SickBoy

I think you will find it is ilegal to drive with only one headlight and the law is unclear ...thus it is at the discretion of the police that stop you .....so i was told !!!!

Lee

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
If you are going to make the indicator into a duct but still want it to be legal, why not replace the standard, bulky type bulb arragment, with orange LED's, as used on alot of modern vehicle lighting.

bracpan

http://www.gti-r.com/misc4/PO/POindex.htm
I made this bonnet so I could have a large scoop for cold air, will get around to making a proper duct from it one day. I agree with Sickboy as I dont think Mr Plod will be very happy with you running with one headlight, but I might be wrong.
The brake duct is also a easy place to run a duct form ( thats what I have also done) as its low to the ground which is ideal as the air is cooler and not disturbed by the rest of the car body. Saying that the headlight scoop would be great for a pure competition car.
Cheers
Phil

c20ona

From what i heard a few years ago you can drive with only one headlight but to get passed your MOT, you must agree that the car can only be driven during the day (this will be stated on the cert). And if you get caught driving at night with it, you get hammered.

Kenny

SickBoy

As far as the Bonnet scoop forced air things i think you will find Disco Dave made them as well .....Fibreglass box that fitted under the bonnet with a pipe run to aim directly at the air filter...think a good few were sold 8) contact him im sure he would still do them :-o

Lee

skiddusmarkus

I got some induction pipe from a rover V8 as it's about 75mm in diamater-and for those who remember me it was cheap too :p.I cut a 75mm holr in the back of the brake vent ducting and then put a carrier bag over the induction pipe and set it in place with fibre glass.The carrier bag acted as a very crude release agent but it worked fine.This was run up to the blanked off hole underneath the OE airbox and secured in place with a cable tie,some chewing gum and sparrow spit.

GINGA

skiddusmarkus said:
I got some induction pipe from a rover V8 as it's about 75mm in diamater-and for those who remember me it was cheap too :p.I cut a 75mm holr in the back of the brake vent ducting and then put a carrier bag over the induction pipe and set it in place with fibre glass.The carrier bag acted as a very crude release agent but it worked fine.This was run up to the blanked off hole underneath the OE airbox and secured in place with a cable tie,some chewing gum and sparrow spit.
My god he's back :shock: 8)

rayman75

only just seen this thread:doh:

i have been messing around with a scoop for a few months now, have had it on the back burner just recently and concentrating on getting the R sorted.

here is wot it looks like without the glass and the mirror, there is a few holes where i got abit heavy with the headlight adjusters.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/rayman75/3fb65bbb.jpg

here i made a template up out of cardboard and celotaped it in:lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/rayman75/a202600b.jpg

I cut out some thin plastic i had lying around (should of used thicker stuff as it was a beeatch to cut) bent the plastic into shape by getting it hot with a blowgun. and glued it all in with some no more nails, i have used the template for the hole as i had trouble cutting it out of plastic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/rayman75/4318ad2e.jpg

i got some 2"3/4 ally pipe from work and started to fibreglass it all in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/rayman75/b20ef473.jpg

after it all dried i got some expanding foam and blasted it in to fill the holes in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/rayman75/d921566a.jpg

thats basically as far as i have gone with it. it not the best for a 1st attempt but i reckon the next one i will do will be alot better just wanted to see if i could do it. its not all that hard tbh i think anyone could do it with abit of no how.

i have kept the templates incase i do another one.

Last edited:

youngsyp

I've been using some 100mm ally ducting from B&Q. I cut the appropriate size hole in the N/S brake duct and routed the other end to the large hole in the N/S inner front wing.
I've just been reading this and was thinking about re-routing the end of the 100mm pipe to blow more directly on the air filter, by cutting a 100 mm hole (enlarging the OE air box intake hole) in the panel next to the battery.
Is this panel structural at all ? As it already has a small hole from the OE air box, I wouldn't have thought it was ?!

Last edited: