Head gasket

Cathode

Cometic, i understand, is a dirty word in the SR20 circles. I didn't know this till a few days ago. I have already installed a 1.3mm cometic HG to my build. i'll just see how it goes. I know some people have had some success with them, 5 years on track and then started to leak. not too bad i suppose if your revving the conkers off of it every weekend. I've also read some people have had leaks after a matter of months. Hmmmmmmmm.......

I can only hope Cometic have come on leaps and bounds since then.

Would it help if the head was torqued down more than the manual instructs?

Last edited:

Cathode

I've read it's very hit and miss on this forum and on others in a google search. Not the end of the world though. You'll always hear of a horror story, but you don't know the condition of someone else's car that it happened to and the quality of work that went into it. If it blows it blows. What can ya do?

i suppose there is K-seal for head gaskets. might just use that from the get go. Do i sound paranoid?

I'm taking a hit for the team people!!! Let's see how it fairs on a fresh build. Update, hopefully not bloody soon.

Last edited:

astarozna

They revised sr20 head gasket few years back, if surfaces are true then there's shouldn't be a problem. If you had a leaky head gasket and decide to fix it with multilayer then IT WILL LEAK no matter what! They seal great as long as surfaces are perfect.
It's like using a condom with a tear and hoping nothing will happen. :laughing:

Cathode

Well that's good news! I made sure surfaces were perfect and clean before application. Cest manifique! That's made my day Astarozna

Last edited:

astarozna

If you are doing the head down then the final torque is 90 if my memory serves me right. Go an extra inch and do a 100, bolts will cope and since up the boost it will give you an extra security.

Cathode

I was thinking of giving it an extra tweak, thanks for this astarozna. Youve been a great help.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Cometic, i understand, is a dirty word in the SR20 circles.
Yep, I had one that lasted one track day and it blew!

I'd NEVER use Cometic again, no matter what updates they've had; Cosworth offer SR20 gaskets that are spot on.

They are for 200SX S14's, but all you have to do is elongate the dowel holes to fit it correctly!

astarozna

I don't think it's gasket to blame. There are many contributors for gasket to fail. Multi layer demands perfect(mashined) surfaces. I've used stock gasket with glue on a 400bhp sr and still running. Not defending any manufacturer, life has taught me to use right practises, common sense and logic.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I don't think it's gasket to blame. There are many contributors for gasket to fail.
Not always, I'll agree!

Unfortunately Cometic have way too many negative reviews/feedback and other gaskets I've used since haven't let me down.

I'm not a fan, plus they are cheap and I've stopped being cheap with my car as it never lasts! :pensive:

astarozna

That i learned long time ago with owning a gtir, cheap is not an option sadly even if i wanted to :)
Was after a window switch lhd, found one on fleabay for a whoping €199 :grimacing:

Cathode

It's a shame I didn't do a bit of digging beforehand but o well. I'm sure it'll be ok for a while at least. I really did prep the surfaces to perfection. I feel satisfied in the knowledge I did a proper job. Not the first rebuild I've done. Here's hoping I get lucky for a few years.

Last edited: