Head Gasket time!

B

briitts

Need some advice from the GTIROC.

After my crap radiatior kept leaking and letting my car overheat my head gasket has now fricken gone. :oops:

So, where is a good place (as in cheap) to get a 1.2mm HKS head gasket, and can it be done in situ?

And what else should I have looked at (head wise), can I get the shims looked at or can I just check them myself using a feeler gauge, and is it worth get it polished and ported (already been done about 3 year ago?

Thanks for your help.

P

Paul Firth

It can be done in situ. :wink: It's just the inlet manifold that's a bit fiddly.

B

briitts

You mean the plenum chamber, oh bugger. :cry:
I took mine off about 2 year ago to replace the master cylinder.

GINGA

Yeh getting the head off in situ isn't a problem and like already mentioned the inlet manifold is the fiddley bit or rather the pipes below it which are a pain to get to.
With the Y shaped bracket removed its all pretty accessible though from underneath.
Can't really see the point in having the head p&p'd again but you may want to get the head skimmed especially if the engine has been overheating to make sure its perfectly flat.
Cheapest place for headgasket will be from Japan and may take some time to get, in the Uk I'd try Sumo power or maybe Amber performance etc though imho unless your going for big power the std gasket would be more than upto the job and theres bound to be loads for next to nowt available from forum members :wink:
Would also consider replacing the head bolts aswell as they may have stretched during overheating allowing the gasket to blow.

B

briitts

Cheers ginga
The engine has forged pistons and stuff and already has a 1.2mm gasket fitted, so would make sense to keep it the same. Will get the head skimmed also, but does it matter if its already been skimmed once before?

P

Paul Firth

The head will only need skimming if it's warped. Either check it yourself or take it to any decent engineer's for this, not the company that skims heads, because I can guarantee you they'll say it needs a light skim. :wink: