Head Bolts

A

Anonymous

The workshop manual doesn't state anything about the GTI-R head bolts, it only states the stretch and length of the SR20DE head bolts.

The GTI-R head bolts are a longer length than the SR20DE head bolts.

I have reused all my stock head bolts without any problems.

Ivan

A

Anonymous

yeah i think thats what he meant from his previous post, and what do you mean by the power he's got, its only a stocker :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hehehehe

Gino

A

Anonymous

Nad, yep. Still using the standard head bolts that i removed from my engine.

Ginga, i'm wondering why Nissan bothered to put the stretch info for the SR20DE head bolt (in very coarse mm range, without going down to thousands of a mm or inch) and not for the GTI-R head bolt. Like i said the two bolts are different lengths. To me that indicates that the GTI-R head bolt doesn't need to be replaced (for whatever reason, maybe because its made of a different material). If they were critical in stretch then it would be mentioned in the manual.

Replace them if you wish, but if you do, can you measure the new bolt length compared to the old bolt length?

Ivan

GINGA

Although it doesn't say anything about the bolts being stretch bolts in the manual they use a angle torque to tighten them which normally indicates a stretch bolt in my experience and for the sake of £50 for a new set its not really worth risking damaging a expensive engine for.

JU5TY

After reading this regarding the Pulsar having longer head bolts to the other SR20DET’s. I checked my JUN head bolts and yes there are wrong, there shorter and thinner. Nice of JUN to let me know that when I ordered them for an RNN14 direct from them.

Anyway I will have to sell them now. Looks like its standard ones, anyone know how much a standard set of head bolts are?

topcat

i agree with ginga on this..
The nissan head bolts can be reused again. the manual does state however u should measure them .and if out of spec replace.

but if it was my R i wouldnt be reusing them,...

i think the nissan bolts are £4 of the top of my head(lol no pun intended) and there are 10 of them

but if yr doign the head bolts.. u will have bought a head set £85 or engine set £110 ish.. and steel head gasket £100-200, so no point mucking about..bang a new set in. or upgrade them even better.. specialy if your changing boost pressure:))

:D:D