Have anyone used Brian Crower/ Kelford cams here?

Hey i'm curious if anyone have used Brian Crower or Kelford cams before in the forum?
Apparently BC makes cams for our cars when i emailed them considering u don't see them in their catalogue.
Also does anyone know off hand if normal SR20 springs and retainers fit on our cars or we need to order GTi-R specific ones?
Normally which spring and retainer kits wold u go for? I did a forum search people tend to avoid the Tomei because they are good for 11.8mm while the Tomei cams normally exceed 12mm of lift.

Also for most people when they install cams were there any specific brands where shimming wasn't necessary or it is something one must be ready to prepare for?
If shimming is a route u cannot take how do u guys go about it? Would u grind the valve seat at the expense of loosing compression?

On a side note does anyone know if BC makes GTi-R specific rods?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
CAMS: Yes BC/Kelford make GTiR Cams. Pesh90 is one person i know using them.. To cope with the lift need to go to Kelford Cams and ask them for Ferrea Springs and Retainers.. I'm using the TOMEI 280deg, 12.5mm Cams with custom springs and retainers..

RODS: I personally am using BC Billet Rods.. I had mine custom made.. Due to the resquests for them, Brian now makes them.. I remember getting a few emails from him regarding this after i ordered mine from him..

Hope that answers your questions...

O

Odin

Yeah I've used Kelford cams as well.

They did exactly what it said on the tin lol

Rob

Just curious how did u guys go about sorting out the valve clearance?
Besides shimming, did anyone tried grinding of the valve stem, grinding valve seats?
Assuming all well set up did it give u guys loads more mid range top end?
What sort of cam profile would u guys use for a GT2871R?

I'm leaning more towards BC cams as they are within my budget. Or go for the Jap brands?
So those who have used it how's the general feedback?

Last edited:

Keira

Odin said:
They supplied me with the same ferrea springs and retainers as well.
they must've changed the springs they supply then,

when i got mine spec'd by kevin they were supertech, although my cams aren't exactly normal :lol: the supertechs will go 13mm before binding :shock:

O

Odin

Keira said:
they must've changed the springs they supply then,

when i got mine spec'd by kevin they were supertech, although my cams aren't exactly normal :lol: the supertechs will go 13mm before binding :shock:

Well I asked them about Ferrea springs when I called them, F*ck knows what they supplied me with though :lol: :lol: , As they came in a clear plastic bag :shock: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Keira said:
personally i wouldn't even bother taking the standard ones out tbh
Reason being? Too much of a hassle and the supporting mods required?
I'm planning to do this for my 2nd engine?
Or u think the turbo is way too small to require wilder cams?

Keira

to much hassle for minimal gains on a turbo that is pretty small, the standard ones will support way more power than you will make on a 2871, fair enough you could move the powerband around abit with some cams and gain abit here and there but personally i wouldn't fit them due to the cost and time involved, i'd fit a slightly bigger turbo and run more boost instead ;)

Allen and ed managed to get 460bhp on standard head and cams, car was responsive enough, had plenty of torque, made good power.

Understandable... So what size turbo do u think when u really need to upgrade your cams to make better use of your turbo?
GT3076 size? (HKS GT3037)?

I'm not sure it's down to the tuning but i feel like on my car the top end feels lacking.

Anyway anyone using Brian Crower cams here? If so how did u find it and which part number is it?
Was looking at the website they said their S13/S14 cams fit on solid lifter cars too...
So i'm abit blur. How's that possible?
Or u need to specify that the cams are for solid lifter cars before ordering?
Best Regards
Victor Cheong

Keira

its not really a question of what size turbo but more of what are your aims for the car. If you want a smallish turbo with quick response and loads of torque early in the rev range there are cams to suit. If however you want more topend those cams wont suit, so you'd go for someting that will move the powerband more towards the topend which would be better suited to a bigger turbo that will keep going strong higher up in the revs.

the standard cams are aok on most set ups, i personally dont see a 15-20bhp gain worth the time, cost and effort on a smaller turbo when you'd get the same by running abit more boost

sejemorten

Hi
I had bought Brian Crower stage 2 cams, 264 int and ex. They way making a bad noise, then i install some Supertech springs with titanium retainer an 8 new rockerarms, the noise is still there. Have re shim it every time. I talked to them and the say:
The noise is due to the increased ramp rate of the lobe "hitting" the rocker arm instead of "pushing" the rocker arm. This is a side effect of performance cams of this nature.
Is't only made for the hydraulic lifters. It sound very bad and don't want to use them, going to buy some new ones:(

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Isn't it quite common for after-market performance cams to be a bit more noisy?

This is quite an old thread to dig-up...