GTIROC Sunstrip fails MOT !!

azboy

as long as ur wipers only touch the sticker by 10mm on the offside front and 40mm on the neaside front its a pass fit smaller wipers but they still must have a good view like u cant fit 12 inch blades if 20 are standard as it will not give a addiquite wiew of the road through the windscreen.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
J44MAA said:
Its always been hot water for me and its worked fine everytime, not even had to use spirits afterwards to remove any excess adhesive.
Well, that would probally be because your gifted compared to the rest of the world, who are mere plebs and stand out like a sore thumb next to your gleaming and no dought endless skills in every field. You are amazing :hail:

John, yes I still have some equiptment, are you after something then ??

Steve

geetee

Bugger me..... 3 pages about getting a sticker off my windscreen!

I did think about the shorter wipers route but tbh I've been thinking about getting rid of the strip for a while - but previous vague attempts at removal have seen me retreating to the safety of the barbeque and a few beers.

Looks like I'll be getting the hair-dryer out then. Can't say I fancy taking a heat gun anywhere near a 16 year old windscreen.

And also just for interest the "free" retest regs seem to have tightened up:

a: If the vehicle is left at the test station that undertakes repairs, for repair and retest, then only partial retest is required. NO FEE

b: If the vehicle is brought back to the test station and retested before the end of the next working day on one or more of the following items only: ABS warning, Bootlid, Brake pedal antislip, Direction Indicators/hazard warning, Doors, Dropsides, Exhaust emmissions, Fuel filler cap, Headlamp aim, Horn, Lamps, Loading door, Mirrors, Rear reflectors, Registration plates, Seat belts (but not anchorages), Seats, sharp edges, projections, Steering wheel, Tailboard, Tailgate, Vin No, Wheels and tyres and Windscreen Wipers and washers; only a partial retest is required. NO FEE

c: Anything else. A full test must be carried out even if a "free retest" is offered for marketing reasons. FULL FEE.

So you have until the next day to rectify anything - didn't this use to be 7 days? So you get out of work early at 4.30 to pick up your car. You then have to make arrangements to have the repairs done and get the car back to the testing centre before 5 the next day - presuming they can fit it in of course - ya right.

Oh and didn't it use to be legal to drive your car too and back from a pre-arranged test station?

Not anymore..... if your MOT is out..... you can....

1. Drive it to the MOT station for a pre-arranged test.
2. Drive it from the test station (having failed) - to a place of repair. << I read that as not back home!

Unless of course you can convince the courts that your driveway constitutes "a place of repair" I guess.

It's also all new computer printed forms, not the old scrawled on tick sheets so be quite sure that the information is being fed back to big brother and that the number recognition cameras will soon be issuing auto penalties.

Cheers
Graham

JAMMA

stevepudney said:
Well, that would probally be because your gifted compared to the rest of the world, who are mere plebs and stand out like a sore thumb next to your gleaming and no dought endless skills in every field. You are amazing :hail:

John, yes I still have some equiptment, are you after something then ??

Steve

No its probably down to hot water working better than a hair dryer

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Bugger me..... 3 pages about getting a sticker off my windscreen!
Exactly !!! and not a real technical thread in sight for weeks.

I was only meaning that in general, over the last 20 years I have found it best to use the indusry recommended method for removing a fookin sticker from anywhere on a vehicle, paint or glass, than any other way but each to there own.

J44MAA, Boiling hot water and cold 15 year old glass :shock: :? :lol: :lol:

why don't you take time out to write to some of the biggest adhesive companies on the planet like MACTAK, FASSON and 3M/SCOTCH to suggest the error in there ways, you could make a fortune :lol: :lol: :lol: Whilst your at it write to Autoglass as well to see if they recomend pouring boiling water on a 15 yr old windscreen :lol: :lol: :lol:

JAMMA

What would I want to do that? The guy was asking what ways to get it off and ive said what way I do it which seems to work perfectly fine for me. And if u actally sit down to have a think about it, its not actaully boiling water thats being poured over the windscreen, unless u have some kind of magic kettle that can still boil water after its been switched off.

geetee

OK. Put the handbags away.

I'll be using a hairdryer. That'll bring the temperature up gradually to the point where the adhesive softens and lets go.

Given the 30 metres from my kitchen to my car I guess a boiling kettle might have cooled to 90 deg C. Still doesn't seem sensible lobbing it on a 20 deg C windscreen - causing material expansion in a small area...... seems common sense to me.

Still, I know a few people who use this method to deice their cars in winter and haven't had a windscreen implode yet..... I'm just not going to risk it.

Thanks for the input guys..... useful as always.

Just gotta wait for the rain to stop :(

Cheers
Graham