GTIROC Sunstrip fails MOT !!

geetee

I'm sulking. The R failed it's MOT today because of my GTIROC sunstrip.

Been fine for years - but apparently the rules have changed and it's now started impairing my vision all of a sudden. Something about it intruding into the area the windscreen wipers sweep.

So the question is how the hell do I get it off? It's on the outside of the screen and has been on for a very long time - it seems welded to the screen. A paint scraper just takes little pieces out of the edge of it.

Take a hair-dryer to it and try and soften the glue or something?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Graham

J

jpward

If it's vinyl then it will prob chip away and take years to get off but a good hair dryier should help a lot!

kirko

get a hammer put it through the screen then ring auto glass:thumbsup:

or just heat it up with a heat gun or boiling water

Dooie Pop Pop

so if i owned a ford pop with a cut down roof that would still be ok then?:roll::lol: madness:lol:

buy some shorter windscreen wipers.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
They usually do fail you... Even a Magic Tree hanging from the rear view mirror fails... Thats why they always leave it sitting your dash for the MOT...

Rishi

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Use a hair dryer but be careful with the heat on the glass, specially if it's a cold day.

If you just warm the vinyl section by section it should come off it resonable size lumps.

Steve

geoff pine

now i think some one on here has said under the new style mot if it fails at one place you can not take it to another one as its loged on to the first mot station computer . theres a post some were on here about it .

D

deslynam

Yep, I could see that happening, as you can now even check a vehicle's MOT certificate online, and you get details of any failures when it was tested.

JAMMA

Boil the kettle and pour it over the corner of the vynil and start to peel it off gently, continue until its all been peeled off. Might need to boil the kettle a few times though.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
J44MAA said:
Boil the kettle and pour it over the corner of the vynil and start to peel it off gently, continue until its all been peeled off. Might need to boil the kettle a few times though.
At your own risk !!!!

I wouldn't boil it, the vinyl only needs to be warm so it doesn't crack. Take any adhesive residue off with white spirt or meths

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Yes mate, I have but a very long time ago.

In the 20 years I spent running my own sign making/Print business, I have applied miles and miles of this bloody film and experience is telling me that the way to remove the vinyl films is with a hair dryer, this method is also recommended by the companies that manufacture the materials.
Any water, hot or cold is not a good idea before you've removed any adhesive that might be left behind as some of the adhesives used are solvent based and require a spirit (meths or white spirit) to remove any residue, if you have a wet screen and then use a spirit you will end up with an emulsified mess all over the screen.

Also if you did use boiling water straight from the kettle you run the risk of cracking your screen and possibly damaging paintwork.

Steve

J

jpward

stevepudney said:
Yes mate, I have but a very long time ago.

In the 20 years I spent running my own sign making/Print business, I have applied miles and miles of this bloody film and experience is telling me that the way to remove the vinyl films is with a hair dryer, this method is also recommended by the companies that manufacture the materials.
Any water, hot or cold is not a good idea before you've removed any adhesive that might be left behind as some of the adhesives used are solvent based and require a spirit (meths or white spirit) to remove any residue, if you have a wet screen and then use a spirit you will end up with an emulsified mess all over the screen.

Also if you did use boiling water straight from the kettle you run the risk of cracking your screen and possibly damaging paintwork.

Steve
Do you still produce vinyl graphics?

JAMMA

Its always been hot water for me and its worked fine everytime, not even had to use spirits afterwards to remove any excess adhesive.