Gt30 ill

Geo3

Hi guys have noticed my gt3071r was gettin noisey on run down after car switched off. Took it all apart lastnight and looks like there is no oil present. I have correct oil pressure and temps, turbo and engine have only done 3k miles at most and i have carried out oil changes for run in. Car is due to reurn to H-DEV to be re mapped soon.

I have no idea why?

ChrisS

They do tend to carry on spinning for a while after you switch off if thats what your hearing. Is there no sign of oil at all in the turbo?

Geo3

No sign of oil at oil outlet , gettin idea that possible swarf from engine due to re build has blocked oil to bearing. Going to send turbo off and get a turbo pre filter i thinks.

Geo3

Have had report from turbo chaps that impella has been over sped an bent shaft in turbo (i.e. boost hose come off) either new core or new turbo...

Anyone else had troubles with gt3071r?

Fusion Ed

Roller bearing turbos HATE pipes blowing off. I have heard of so many going like this, unfortunately it makes them very expensive to repair as the cores cannot usually be fixed and have to be replaced as a whole unit.

By the sound of what your saying its not a turbo issue its the pipework connected to the turbo that caused it to fail.

Geo3

Yea boost hose did come off about 3 weeks before i noticed bearing was noisey, i was right footing it an hose popped off.Had to try and drive it to get it off jual carrige way. Suspect it started there.....

I have a friend who has been through 3 gt30's on his cosworth, im now thinkin of possibly a different turbo, or breaking

Geo3

Well turbo wast stripped and checked, had bent the inner core. Either new core at 600 or new turbo at same price gutted but watch this space....