got the mongoose but doesnt wanna rev freely to the limiter

A

Anonymous

hey got the goose on the car finally
now ive still got the standard dump pipe and cat.and also standard airbox with aftermarket filter in it.
just wondering why the power would drop off after 6500rpm and not pull all the way to 7500... am running just up to the 7 on the standard boost gauge somewhere between 13.2 and 13.8 psi.
would you think it could be one of these reasons.
- peak power is made at those revs there for it drops off??
- cat or dump pipe is still restricting the goose??
- or since im using just a bleed valve its just spiking up to the 7 and then dropping back??therefor power drops off.. and of cause I cant see it when im watching were im going...

or is this to be expected

I should be right running up to 7 hgmm without putting it on the rolloing road shouldnt I?
(HAS ANYONE TESTED TO SEE WHAT DB RATING THE GOOSE IS AT AROUND 6000 7000 RPM OR NOT...)

turblio

Hi
When I decatted and fitted an apexi filter mine pulled much stronger straight away (hks downpipe helped too)
Frank

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Max power on all my rolling road runs has been at around 64-6500rpm so power does drop off after that point, although I can't say I've noticed it on the road. I don't think I'm running that much boost (I realy must get a better boost gauge) so I suppose it's possible you might be leaning off slightly at the top end. If you still have the cat on, that might be restricting you abit, but I can't say for certain. (Only one way to find out :wink: )

I did measure my goose's noise level, but I can't remember what it was, 80-90db maybe :?: I'll have a look for that post.

skiddusmarkus

I'd say it's down to you having a standard turbo(?).Power drops off after 6500rpm regardless.You will be making moree power and torque elsewhere though.

A

Anonymous

thanks for that. well now i know that it makes peak power at about 6500rpm then theres no need to take it past there.(so nothing should be wrong)
will get a twin dump pipe and high flow cat and see if that helps
80 - 90 db thats still over the legal limit here here in aus
spoke to one of the companies in the uk and they just told me approx 110db at 4500rpm, i dont recon its that loud

A

Anonymous

jasegould2002 said:
U need to run it up to 7500 :shock: :?:
That's what I thought! I'd agree with the guys on this one but get yourself a decent boost gague if you're using a bleed valve. You'll need to keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't spiking. I don't think the standard boost gague is up to the job. Can anyone correct me?

Dunc

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I always thrash mine to 7500. It doesn't seem to slow down over 6500, anyway if I don't goto 7500, how am I supposed to do 130 on all those private airfields??? :p :wink:

C

charlie

i run mine up to 7500 if im really going for it. Otherwise it drops below the torquey area on a gearchange.

A

Anonymous

problem solved, had somonw watch the revs and it was actually struggling from 5000rpm onwards so went and got a high flow cat, and it now revs more freely then it did,(standard cat was blocked at one end)i think its just running way too rich at the top end and thats whats backing the power off....