Goodyear AS2

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've been running these on my M3 for a few months now and personally prefer them to the Conti 5P's which were very good tyres. Both were a step change improvement on from the GY F1's I ran before that on the M3 and are still on my R.

They are only available in a 205/45/16 but are £85 a corner on love tyres. I forgot what it was like to buy tyres for below £200 let alone £100!

I bet they would transform any road car. Anyone else any experience.

P.S., I thought I would use the new section as a test :)

Jim

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for the recommendation! - I've had the F1's on the R, but wore them to slicks pretty quickly; the Proxes lasted marginally better.

I'm always interested in "road" tyres than aren't going to break the bank... but aren't going to see me crash into a bank either. ;-)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
The F1 asymmetrical 2's are a superb tyre.

Wet grip is almost on par with dry grip and I'm not exaggerating either. However they let themselves down with soft sidewalls. Some people seem to think that extra load tyres mean stiffer sidewalls, but that's not true.
I find the F1A2's to be quite soft and I can feel more roll than my previous Bridgestone RE050's and Conti Sport 2's.

The best summer tyre I've had has got to be the Michelin Pilot Sport 2, these have been truly excellent in the wet and dry, albeit I still feel the F1AS's perform better in the wet than the MPS2's.

Over the years I've really learnt that spending money on high quality road tyres really does pay dividends and driving the Nissan with naff Yokahama S306 tyres really shows when I need the grip.

My current top 5 tyres are

1) MPS2
2) F1AS2
3) Conti 2's
4) RE050 (Bridgestone)
5) FK452 (Falken)

Also to add I've never bother using Toyo tyres, I just can't see any value in them nor any quality with regards to dry and wet grip.
Yokohama, once a great brand in my eyes has also lost a lot of gravitas as they too are some way off the grip levels and road notice that my top 5 offer.

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The problem on our cars is 205/45/16 is not considered a performance tyre by vehicle manufacturers so you don't tend to get the latest tyre tech options. Was really pleased to see the AS2's available.

We all like different things and have different applications so I prefer the softer sidewalls on the AS2's over the 5P's ;-)

KieranEG6

Seems like the F1 AS2's are the new allrounder. How would you guys compare them for road feel/ sidewall flex to the Pilot Sports? Never been to much of a Mich fan as I have always been used to stiffer bridgestones and the old Eagle F1 GSD3's. But then having always been runing 15" there wasn't much choice. 205/45R16 on the Pulsar seems to have developed quite well in the way of higher spec tyres available these days.

I have the RE002 adrenalin's on both MX5 and Civic as all rounders. How did you find your set on the R andy? Seen you had a fairly fresh set on when you came over.

Im steering towards the AS2's for the Pulsar as it seems like a better all rounder. Plus I have been dieing to try them since they discontinued the F1 GSD3's in 15" and I haven't bought a set of Goodyears since.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I have the RE002 adrenalin's on both MX5 and Civic as all rounders. How did you find your set on the R andy? Seen you had a fairly fresh set on when you came over.
The RE002's were quite good on the island, however that's all I've driven on them as the car came off the road again when it came home for its gearbox repairs and now engine rebuild.
So my feedback on those tyres us pretty limited, but all can say is the sidewalls are a little softer than my Yokohama tyres which I like as it's not as "bone shaking" with my coilovers.

With regards to the AS2's they are a good all rounder. I used them on the DC5 last year and for all round grip and WET grip was very good. My only negative about them was that the sidewalls were pretty soft.
After some hard cornering and a trackday the sidewalls of the tyre had been worn away where they had "rolled" or compressed under hard cornering.
For an all weather tyre, I'd say it's right up there, better than the RE002 (but again I've not used the Bridgestones what much)

Michelin tyres are also very good, I've got very little negative to say about them, dry grip if feel is better than the AS2's however the wet grip is slightly less than the AS2's, but there is not much in it.
I'd say that the cost for Michelin's is more so the AS2's would win on value for money, but if I had money to burn I'd go Michelin most of the time.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I hadn't realised the PS3's were available in this size. They're £99 on lovetyres so only £12 more than the AS2's. I can't comment on the GtiR fitment but the consensus on the internet for other vehicles is exactly what Andy says. My own experience with the F1's on GtiR trackdays is they get hot quick and wear. Again this is in line with Andy's experience with the AS2's on his DC5.

For an all year round road car I prefer the equivalent Goodyear to Conti and Michelins. As I said in the first post, the latest PS3, AS2, 5P are all a step change improvement over an F1 so I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Just noticed lovetyre show a PS3 in 215/40/16 (86XL) size for £88 This tyre size has the same rolling radius as the original car and is my personal preference. I think my F1 GSD3's use an 86 XL in the same size. I would need to check this as this figure has a big impact on feel.

I feel pulled between my preferred brand and preferred tyre size.....