Gearbox !!!

Nick K

Hi all.
My gearbox is making a strange noise when I engage 3rd and sometimes 2nd gears.

Basically when I engage the clutch in 1st on pull off I get judder unless I give it some rpm. (Not sure if it's a organic clutch plate )This I can live with as its fine once it's rolling,

My new problem now is when I go for 3rd with vehicle moving between gear changes up or down the box I get this judder as I engage the clutch. Sometimes it happens in 2nd too. I did a 150 mile trip yesterday and this developed a lot more over that journey. 1st 4th and 5th are fine. I'd heard the noise before but not to this extent.

Another thing I noticed was I didn't seem to roll as freely when in 2nd gear that other gears when pottering along in traffic,
I'll check the gearbox oil level when I get back later but was spot on last time I checked.

Thoughts please.

Cheers Nick.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
How are the clutch hydraulics? Sounds a little bit like when one of the cylinders starts to fail... but that wouldn't normally be 2nd and 3rd.

Nick K

How are the clutch hydraulics? Sounds a little bit like when one of the cylinders starts to fail... but that wouldn't normally be 2nd and 3rd.
When you say cylinders, meaning there is more that one regarding the slave cylinder? :sad:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You can normally spot the slave cylinder leaking down the front of the bell housing, and if it leaks down onto the plate that might contribute to the odd behaviour.
It's harder to spot the master cylinder leaking (unless you're getting fluid on your shoes) and it's much more of a pain to repair/rebuild... but it's cheaper than a gearbox and that's why I suggest checking the hydraulics first.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Could be as pobody has said or it could be you have a ceramic paddle clutch as they can behave like the above unless you are driving the car hard as they are intended to be used.

Nick K

Just driven it back another 160 miles and I'm 99% it's the clutch causing it. It's very noticable when you are changing down and the engine rpm is not matching the gearbox speed. It sort of vibrates the whole drive train. It's not dragging at all and I can't see any leaks on hydrolics + fluid has not gone down. I do have a small leak on the flywheel crank seal it would appear but that been leaking since September last year 8) so gearbox will have to come out to sort that anyways. Can have a look see to see what comedy clutch is in it .... Cheers for the response guys.